July Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• XLee
    XLee ✭✭✭

Genuine

A good mentor does not have to be the most successful person. Being genuine helps them being able to truly connect, understand and feel compassion for someone who is looking for their guidance.

• iLoveData
    iLoveData ✭✭✭✭

Studious

I love a mentor who is like myself, always trying to learn something new. As a mentee and a mentor, I've always appreciated someone who wants to learn what you know to upskill and progress their own development. Nobody knows everything, but the ones willing to learn, in my experience, tend to be more understanding and excited about a new initiative, idea, or project. Those are my favorite types of people to work with and be lead by as you get to create something great together by learning from each other.

Michael - Alternative Delivery Analyst

Ames Construction

• tdisque
    tdisque ✭✭

Empathy - The mentor understand that part of growth comes from making mistakes, recognize they previously made mistakes, and guide their mentee to shift mistakes to learning opportunities.

• DebRichardson
    DebRichardson ✭✭✭✭

Inspiring, Upfront, Thoughtful, Guiding. Mentors to me have all these aspects. They show up to the conversation willing to guide you to the next level without hesitation.

Deb

Deborah L. Richardson

Research Admin Coordinator

Clinical Trial Office

Tel (603) 308-9642 | Deborah.l.richardson@hitchcock.org

Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center

• szl0077
    szl0077 ✭✭

I have had so many types of mentors over the years and each of them have their own qualities but the ones I have currently are ones that i would use the word support. They are so supportive in my endeavors to learn new things and are always open to at least hearing my ideas on how to improve something. We may not always use it but they hear me out and push me to always be better.

• CTops
    CTops ✭✭✭✭

Egoless

I have always found the best mentors are confident enough in their ability that they are willing to share their knowledge without concern they will be outshone eventually - a mentor that had the vision of wanting the student to beat the master and allows that to happen.

• I have had great mentors throughout in my professional journey. My favorite mentor was one who gave me opportunity and decision-making power so i could discover my own strength and weakness in areas i have never been before. He took the risk of trusting me in making decision that he should be making but at the same time he was always there to watch my back when i needed his help. This gave me the confidence to take ownership and deliver value. In my eyes these are the traits of a good mentor.

• smiles
    smiles ✭✭✭✭

Leadership.

Someone who gets in the weeds with you, not a boss directing.

• Jignesh Hapani
    edited 07/23/24

Relevance

A good mentor possesses relevant expertise or knowledge in your field. They share their insights, provide honest feedback, and invest in your growth. Reflective listening, empathy, and respect are also key qualities to look for in a mentor.

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭

Guiding

My mentor was my first ever manager in IT and he guided me in looking forward but also looking back to see how far you have come.

I could add inspiring, caring, attentive but his guidence helped me to gain confidence, especially as a trainee programmer back in 1979

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LISTENER

Mentors who actively listen with curiosity, interest and empathy, because they want to know about my experience before giving advice, make me feel visible, respected, and comfortable sharing the issues or challenges I may be facing.

This discussion has been closed.