July Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• It might be weird, but lately I've liked chaperone. I appreciate when they're observing and waiting to see if they need to step in or if all will be well if they just let me continue to run forward.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most comments here! Some are interesting as they rather describe personal needs and thus the capability of a good mentor to understand the need and adjust their input to push the mentee forward.

So I add: Empathy

:-)

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Emapthy

A good mentor has great listening skills and can understand his mentee's POV, even if he disagrees. As a mentor, when people feel that you understand them and their concerns, they are more willing and receptive to what you have to say, even if its not something they would prefer to hear. Empathy is like oil in a car engine that keeps the gears grinding smoothly :)

David Stremic

“All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” – Ernest Hemingway.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

WISE 🧙‍♂️

Looking up to someone who knows "Everything" in their specialty field, but who can offer valuable advice based on experience, education, training, etc..

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• nfatolitis
    nfatolitis ✭✭✭✭
  • CatSusk
    CatSusk ✭✭✭✭
  • Kimberly Slavsky
    Kimberly Slavsky ✭✭✭✭

Adaptable

Kimberly S. Slavsky, MPAcc, MS (She/Her)

Operations Principal Professional |Department of Psychiatry

University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus

CU Anschutz Staff Council Vice Chair

University of Colorado Staff Council Co Chair

• kelceyg
    kelceyg ✭✭✭✭✭

Kindness

"Kindness is a type of behavior marked by acts of generosity, consideration, rendering assistance, or concern for others, without expecting praise or reward in return."

My mentor is one of the kindest people I've ever met. She always speaks and acts with kindness first, so even when she's giving me constructive criticism, I know it's because she genuinely wants me to be my favorite version of myself.

• Caroline Elliott
    Caroline Elliott ✭✭✭✭

I have to agree with @Sing C INSPIRING sums up all of the mentors and people who have influenced me throughout my career.

• bperez
    bperez ✭✭✭

RELIABLE

I have had the opportunity to have several mentors through out my career. All have consistently been reliable source of knowledge. The time they took out of their busy schedules to reply to an email, jump on a call, or meet in person made me feel like I had the support to continue on my efforts to grow as an individual and in my career.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Model

"Model" exemplifies a good mentor by demonstrating the desired behavior or skill, providing a clear example for mentees to follow.

Just like Admiral Yamamoto, who famously said, "You must demonstrate, explain, let them try, and praise to truly move people," a model mentor leads by example. They showcase the desired behavior or skill, providing a clear and actionable blueprint for mentees to follow.

Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku was a prominent figure in the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. As the commander-in-chief of the Combined Fleet, he orchestrated the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, a pivotal moment that led to the United States' entry into the war. Despite his role in planning and executing this attack, Yamamoto was well-known for his opposition to war with the United States. He understood the U.S.'s vast industrial and military potential and believed prolonged conflict would be disastrous for Japan. His insight was deepened by his time as a naval attaché at the Japanese embassy in Washington, D.C., from 1925 to 1928, where he gained a profound appreciation for America's capabilities. He was known for his insightful understanding of complex situations, even when they conflicted with his personal views or official duties.

• Ashley Ferguson
    Ashley Ferguson ✭✭✭✭

Compassion

Ashley Ferguson, PMP

IS Project Manager | St. Joseph’s/Candler

http://linkedin.com/in/ashley-ferguson-399396a

This discussion has been closed.