Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to allow different collaborators in one tasks sheet to edit or update only the tasks (or rows) a

Ali Raslan
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hello

So, in a project I'm supervising, I built a tasks sheet which contain number of tasks assigned to different collaborators. I was expecting that every collaborator will be able to only update the rows which are assigned to him only as I specified in the Assigned To column. But what I found is that everyone with edit permission can edit everything in the sheet, which can cause a lot of mess!

Therefore, I was thinking! How to allow different collaborators in one tasks sheet to have different update permissions to edit or update only the tasks (or raws) assigned to them via the Assigned To fields?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/27/15

Ali,

Currently, the priveleges in Smartsheet sheet are not so detailed. 

However, you might get what you are looking for by using Reports as a a Task List.

For each user on my team, they had a report that pulled in all tasks / rows assigned to them from all sheets they have permission to use. Our workflow was to assign things on the sheet but update them from reports/task lists.

This won't solve the problem of users just going directly to the sheet, but if the report gets them all the information they need, most people won't go looking at the full sheet.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• Ali Raslan
    edited 12/28/15

I see! Is there any plans to develop the priveliges creterias soon? I'll try to do it this way, but I beleive a better practice would be for now is to creat a seperate sheet for every department or user! But the problem here is that my subscription only allow 10 sheets! 

Wish I knew this before making a one year subscribtion!

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Ali, improved sharing options for sheets is something we are looking into implementing in the future. For now, reporting or creating separate sheets would be good alternatives. 

You can also upgrade your account at anytime and use what you have already paid, towards the new subscriptions. Email finance@smartsheet.com for more information! 

• Add my vote to this feature...we'd love to have the ability to control permissions at the row level.

This discussion has been closed.