Smartsheet Forms

Options
Art Schneiderheinze
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Getting ready to begin using Smartsheet forms and read a bunch of articles online about best practices.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to pull data from another aheet based on user input? For example, if user enters a course code (PPA 123, Smartsheet references another sheet to automatically display the course title.
  2. Is there a way to force the format of input (e.g. a code entered must be 6 characters and second character must be a letter).
Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's a no for both questions because Smartsheet forms are one way.

Possible workarounds.

1. Automation that would send an alert with the information of the title
    2. Third-party form service

​​​​​​​Would that work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While you can't directly do either of those in the form within SS, I can think of two options. The first one is very similar to Andree's, and the second one is just a more specific version of Andree's.

1. I would use an update request with placeholders instead of an alert. That way when the sheet autofills the course title based on the course code after the form is submitted, the user has the ability to change it if it is incorrect. It may also be easier to fill out the form if you list out the course titles in a dropdown and use an autofilling formula on the sheet to pull the course code after submission, but that would be determined by your specific details.

2. Google forms has a great setup going. I use them pretty regularly. It allows for conditions to be built into forms, A TON of flexibility, and it integrates very seamlessly with SS.