Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sights needs some improvements

Zac
Zac
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Sights has been out for about six months now, but there are still no graphing widgets. When is SmartSheet planning on coming out with this functionality? Graphs are some of the main things people will look at when viewing a dashboard. Currently all we can do is list a whole bunch of raw numbers with little to no visuals. I can change the color of my font but that is about where it ends.

Anyone looking at Sights for summarizing their SmartSheet data will most likely be disappointed without the graphing functionality. Graphs are key.

The ability to print dashboards would also be a nice feature to have.... and publishing. Cool

Zac

Comments

• Daniel Stein
    Daniel Stein Employee
    edited 07/28/16

Hi Zac,

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that graphs and charts would be a great addition to Sights and Smartsheet and are currently working on this, though we don't yet have an ETA to share.

The Sights Gallery has a number of Sights ideas & best practices in case you haven't seen it yet. Customers currently create work visualization in their Sights in a number of ways:

- Show symbol cells or columns in a Metric or Report widget.
    - Show a Gantt chart in a Report widget.
    - Turn on "use cell formatting" in the Metric widget to inherit the live formatting -- including Conditional Formatting -- from the source cell. This allows you to convey real-time status using formatting like font color.
    - Add images to the Sight.
    - To create graphs, use a solution like Power BI (which has a free connector for Smartsheet data) or Smartsheet Labs Charts, then URL link to those graphs from the Sight. You can use an Image widget as a visual link, though the image won't be live as of now.

Thanks for asking about Publish and Print as well. We're currently tracking to release Sight Publish in September, and we're working on Sight Print. In the meantime, customers typically use a screen clipping tool as an alternative to Print.

I hope this helps, and thanks again for the feedback.

Daniel

• When I try to print or create a PDF of a Dashboard, the content tries to print to one page only and is shrunken and aligned to the left side of the page. Sheets and reports allow you to spread content to the width of the printed page, but dashboards does not have this feature. Why is this. I have seen in a few places on this site that this issue has been around for a long time. Is there a solution that I just cannot find int he Help files, or is this an unavoidable feature. If there is no solution then when will there be, as this is a major shortcoming and defeats any ability to share dashboards outside of viewing it online. My executives need a file or print out offline.

Regards,

Lawrence Ough

• As Lawrence previously stated, is this a feature you are working on? As it stands this is the Dashboard's most significant shortcoming that needs to be rectified ASAP 

This discussion has been closed.