Subtracting dates

1996mustang
1996mustang ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a start date of 10-1-19 and a stop date of 10-31-19 and I want to see how many working days are in the range.  I am using the formula as follows:

=NETWORKDAYS([Schedule start]1, [Schedule stop]1,) 

I keep getting #UNPARSEABLE

Must be doing something wrong?  

Regards, 

ds

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Remove that comma at the end. That will do the trick. 

=NETWORKDAYS([Schedule start]1, [Schedule stop]1)

• Subtracting Dates - I have the formula below to get total net work days and coming up with #DATE EXPECTED sign. What am I doing wrong?

=NETWORKDAYS([Target Validation Completion Date]1, [Actual Start Date (Validation Plan Release)]1)

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Dan Kiser

It looks like your column is set up to be a Date Type column, which is why the cell is saying that it's expecting the formula to return a date.

However, the NETWORKDAYS function returns a number - the number of working days between two dates. This means it needs to be entered into a Text/Number Type column.

(Click Here for a list of column types, and Click Here for information on NETWORKDAYS)

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Hi I'm having an issue with NETWORKDAYS not behaving as expected, I'm trying to report project timeline variances between baseline and actual. I have defined working days and holidays but the results are not as expected, any thoughts?

I'm using this formula in the Project Start var. column a =NETWORKDAYS([Actual Start Date]4, [Baseline Start Date]4)

and this formula in the Project End var. =NETWORKDAYS([Actual End Date]4, [Baseline End Date]4)

January the 1st is set as a holiday in the template settings and weekends are non working days. Line 3 looks right but line 4 is adding a day tot he total for each column

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Stewart Ennew

The NETWORKDAYS formula is counting each working day as 1. This means that the days between 2 working days is 2 because it counts each day.

For example, with row four you have Jan 2nd and Jan 3rd. These are two different working days, so it counts the days between these dates as 2. If you had Jan 2nd and Jan 2nd, this would be read as 1 day.

This means that, for row three, your start date is Jan 1st, which is not a working day. Therefore, the NETWORKDAYS formula doesn't count that as a working day, reading it as Jan 2nd instead. Comparing this to Jan 2nd (the Actual Start Date), the formula reads this as 1 day.

Does that make sense?