Leveling Up Update Requests

Doug Winenger
Doug Winenger ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

One of the features of forms that I use frequently is the ability to add a "hidden field" with a value that is written to the sheet upon submission.  This is really useful when performing a simple evaluation of form submission completion to trigger actions in workflows, for example. 

However, in contexts where I have a multi-step intake process (multiple parties are providing intake details), I lose access to forms functions on step 2 and greater and instead have to use the update request within the workflows.  

I would like the ability to trigger an invite to fill in a form for an existing row in a sheet from a workflow. 

The logic might look something like this:

1) first user clicks form #1 link and submits fields 1,2, and 3, field 4 is hidden and is just a simple counter that is set to "1" to indicate the initial form submission is complete.

2) the automated workflow recognizes the new row submission and triggers an invitation to user #2 to complete form #2

3) form #2 will display fields 1, 2, and 3 but all three fields are locked, fields 5, 6, and 7 are open for user 2 to complete, etc.  Additionally, field 4 will be set to "2" to indicate step 2 form submission is complete.  

This is a simple example.  However, with this enhancement, I'm really looking to unlock all the features of the forms but on an existing row.  We can call it "leveling up" the update request capabilities :-). 

I'm imagining being able to send multiple 'step 2' form invites (or several layers of invites) out based on the completion of step 1 intake form, add hidden fields to the 'step 2' forms with values that are written to the sheet upon submission, and update and add to existing rows (replacing the existing update request capability).  

Thanks!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You may be able to still accomplish this using the current capabilities. You have already described the form submission with a hidden field of "1". The update request goes out, but there is no "hidden value" capabilities on it. You can include the columns you want, but exclude a "helper" column. This helper column can have a basic IF statement in it that will populate a "2" once a certain field becomes text (or a date or number) once a column in the update request but not in the initial form is filled in. Something like...

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(JOIN([1st Update Request Column]:[Last Update Request Column]))), 2)

Then trigger your next step off of that. You can continue this with each additional step.

It is not necessarily a "default value in a hidden field", but it will basically work the same way.

You can also skip that step and just trigger your next step as being when a specific column (one that is unique to the 1st update request) changes to "Any Value".

• Doug Winenger
    Doug Winenger ✭✭
    edited 10/03/19

@paul - that is exactly how I do this today. However, my actual scenario is significantly more complex.  I have to evaluate a number of fields to determine if "Step 2" or "step 3" was completed which creates a relatively heavier set of formulas in my sheet.  A simple check box would remove the need for the formulas which would help keep my sheet "lighter" while also still allowing for automations to be triggered, etc. 

But, in spirit, you are correct :-)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh. Ok. I didn't realize that your trigger requirements were that complex. My apologies.

•  No apology needed :-)

I purposely kept my example simple.  But yes, I have a fairly complex intake process involving a number of update requests that go out to various parties. So I’m using a “helper” column for most of them to evaluate if they are “complete”.