Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Maintaining a list of small department's resources

Options
MIke Leser
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

My compny is small (about 15-20 resources with limited turnover). To allow all users to work` w1ith the same list of resources as I undestand it, because contact lists are not shared, each user (or maybe just PM) would need to create (or import) a list of names/emails that would then be available to assign to tasks using The 'Assigned To' column. If there is any turnover, each user would need to modify (add/delete) thier individual contact list. To clarify, the contact list is separate and distinct (not associated with) the user list nd the user list controls access, correct? Thanks!

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello Mike! You're correct in that at this time, Smartsheet doesn't have a shared contact list and deleting a contact won't delete their email address out of sheet grid cells. I'll get your vote down for a shared contact list feature and easy way to remove an email address from all sheets.

A good approach to scrub an email from a sheet is to use Find & Replace to remove or replace their contact. You'll need to use this on each sheet individually. Details on Find & Replace are available in the Help Center: http://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2115655-find-replace

• MIke Leser
    Options

OK Thanks Shaine, look forward to seeing other users weigh in on this improvement.

Mike

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, this one had me thinking "no, that can't be right .. can it?"

Please add my vote to have an account email address list.

Currently, when typing into a Contact List type column, the data is pulled from three locations:

1. Entries in the current sheet (so when Bob is assigned a task, he will be one of the listed choices)

2. Personal Contact List

3. Account User List

These last two are polled when starting to type in the column.

My first thought was just to add everyone as a user (non-licensed, no sharing, just add them) but that won't work because:

1. they get an email to activate their account (can't do anything with it, since they are non-licensed and have nothing shared to them, but they get one nonetheless)

Unless...

2. they are already a user using that email in another Smarthseet account.

I've got some ideas but keep running into dead ends - or security issues I don't want to tackle now (like having users that are outside your org seeing all of your contacts that you don't want them to see)

Please fix this carefully.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.