Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Webforms | Survey - Customizing Column Headers or Question Content

Bill Lafferty
Bill Lafferty ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I currently use an external tool to conduct 200-300 surveys and collect data on project performance for my org annually. Β Data is exported from the tool and compiled in excel. Β I want to transition to SmartSheet to alleviate the manual survey creation and lift and shift of data. Β Problem: Β Each survey is customized listing a unique project manager and project name. While I can build the survey questions, I have not been able to figure out if there is a way to customize the specific webform title, headers or even column properties based on the values on a within a unique row to include column properties, or customize a webform header. Β I may be looking at this all wrong and there may be a better way to do this. Β Below is the basic structure of the sheet. Β Any input is appreciated. Β Thanks. Β 

Β 

Sample SmartSheet Structure

Column 1 : Question - Please evaluate <Insert PM Name>'s performance on the <Insert Project Name>?Β 
Column 1 is a drop down list with ratings 1-5.

Column 2: PM Name

Column 3: Project Name

Β 

Β 

Comments

• Hi William,

Β 

You can change column properties (such as dropdown options) in the sheet grid by right-clicking the column header at the top of the sheet and selecting Edit Column Properties.

Β 

Some of these options will need to be changed with the web form tab at the bottom of the sheet. (Select Edit next to your form in the Web Form Window.)Β 

Β 

Details on editing web forms are available in our Help Center:Β https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522221-using-web-forms

Β 

If you're looking for parameters to autofill in the web form, check out the bottom of the Using Web Forms article for details on changing the web form URL to add query strings:Β https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522221-using-web-forms#manageform

Β 

Otherwise, if you're wanting to have one parameter enter the sheet based on the entrant's response, (e.g. IF entrant submits "Flowers Project" to the Project name field, enter "Rose Gardener" in the PM column) consider creating an IF statement in the sheet grid and hiding the column containing the IF statement from the web form so people don't submit to it and override the formula. Details on this are in our function references article here:Β https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

William,

Β 

Be aware that using the formula that Shaine mentions will not change the WebForm dynamically. It will only be captured on the backend.

Β 

Craig

• Bill Lafferty
    Bill Lafferty ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for you help guys. Β I've decided to create a unique webform for each project hiding the PM and Project Name info. Β Now I need to figure out how and where to tally the results.Β 

This discussion has been closed.