Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Current User System Field

ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

System Field that captures who the current user is so you can use formulas or logic based on that.

19 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @ker9

Would you be able to expand a bit more on your idea? When you say "current user", do you mean the person logged in and looking at the shared sheet, in the same way that Current User is applied on a filter (so each person has a unique view and sees only their own email in this system column), or do you mean something closer to "Active Faces" which shows how many of your Shared users are currently active on the sheet?

It would also be helpful to have an example of the type of formula or logic you would want to use with this column type.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

System Field, or formula, so that the field will contain the name of the current user.

So if I have a multi-entry contact field, I could use a checkbox column with something like CONTAINS(CONTACT_FIELD@Row,CURRENT USER) which will return TRUE if the current user's name is in the field.

This could be used for conditional formatting, to light up rows that a re relevant to the viewer.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Sorry I didn't see your question at the time it was asked. I don't recall the exact scenario I was working around but yes, the user that is logged in and viewing the sheet/report/whatever. I vaguely recall the problem was an inability to restrict access to Current User in whatever I was working on.

It could be a hidden field that you can use in formulas like the great suggestion above from @James Keuning

If [my column]@row = [CURRENT USER], Yes, No (etc.)

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/20/22

Possibly use to find current users office (region, etc.) and show data based on that. (Currently trying to figure that out for a dashboard chart.)

@Genevieve P. - below is a link to the original question that generated this request:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/92447/dynamic-view-logic-based-on-current-user

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for a similar function. We use a "follower" column... essentially non assigned people can subscribe to a task to receive updates on its progress. But screen real estate is always an issue, so the follower field is usually off the right. I would like to implement a simple checkbox column where the user can check it to follow a task. Then an automation would capture their name (modified by) and add it to the follower column, and clear the checkbox. All that can be currently done as is.

Here is the part that requires a "current user" field that is different than a "modified by" field. Next time the user logs in, the sheet would use conditional formatting to color that checkbox cell green to indicate they are following the task. If they checked it again, it would unsubscribe / unfollow them from the task.

Now that i read this, i am really asking for conditional formatting to use "current user"... i should go search for that. But dang i already typed all this so gonna share anyways.

Reminds me though... need control center to update conditional formatting rules across portfolio...

Thanks!