Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Improved User Auto-Provisioning

Jeff Reisman
Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great to be able to specify some additional options for user auto-provisioning:

Have the ability to add auto-provisioned users to Groups automatically -

Being able to add new users to an "All Employees" group automatically would mean they could have access to some resources by default. In my case, users automatically having access to our Smartsheet FAQs Dashboard would link them to valuable information, links to Smartsheet Help sites and Community, and easy access to our internal Smartsheet Help Request ticket system.

Set up an automated notification to System Admin or other email address when a new user in our domain creates their Smartsheet account and is provisioned -

This would allow us to pro-actively take other specific actions for that user depending on their role/department/job function - giving them access to workspaces, sending them documentation, adding them to department-specific groups, etc. - instead of waiting for their manager to have to ask.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

15 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• sorokti
    sorokti ✭✭

yes please! I want to be able to connect Okta or Google Groups to groups in Smartsheet

And I definitely want to be able to have an All Users group - this seems like a very basic feature that would allow us to have much better governance in this tool.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sorokti

And I definitely want to be able to have an All Users group - this seems like a very basic feature that would allow us to have much better governance in this tool.

I ended creating an automated workflow within another application that uses the Smartsheet API to resubmit all active users in our org with domain accounts to my All Employees group. It runs once per day. Only new users not already in the group get added.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭

📌 Would like to sync to existing AD Groups that could map to select groups in Smartsheet groups. 📌

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This would make it so much easier to create an all company workspace where new employees can access company templates, information about our Smartsheet account, and anything else we want to add there. Our onboarding process isn't strong enough yet to manage everyone individually.

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• Our company wants this also. Can it be added to your development roadmap? More control over autoprovisioning.

• Yes! I would love to share a dashboard to all users so they can pull what projects are open, what is scheduled to start, etc. in a holistic way, rather than relying solely on push communication. However, I know I can't share a dashboard to everyone that gets hired, nor could I could maintain an all-employee user list. We have an enterprise plan with auto-provisioning.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The way I accomplished this (access to a Smartsheet FAQs dashboard) for all new users was using the Smartsheet API along with a workflow tool. You could probably achieve it with Postman (which is free,) though I used Alteryx (which is expensive!)

I created an All Internal Users group and put everyone in it, and gave the group access to the dashboard. My daily workflow would use the API to pull the current list of users in our domain and compare that with the list of users in the All Internal Users group, and then add any new users to the group.

I would have loved to share the API calls with you but I was part of a big Reduction-in-Force a few weeks ago and no longer have access 😥

Regards,

Jeff Reisman