Notification when a task has been re-assigned

Options

Hello,

I currently have a workflow that notifies individuals when a task has been assigned to them. Is there any way to create an alert if a task is removed/ re-assigned from them? for example task assigned to A is now assigned to B. Can A receive a notification that this is no longer their assignment?

I looked through the forum and saw a similar question from 2018 without an answer, I would really appreciate your help.

Best Answer

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Gabby M.

Here is a stripped down example, on the task sheet just two columns and the send row automation triggering whenever assigned to changes

I changed the assigned to three times each time it sent a copy of the row to the second sheet.

The second sheet has three extra columns. Two check boxes and one auto system created date

"Newest" Formula find who it is currently assigned to

=IF([Assignment Date]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Assignment Date]:[Assignment Date], [Task #]:[Task #], [Task #]@row)), 1)

"Last" formula find who it was last assigned to

=IFERROR(IF([Assignment Date]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Assignment Date]:[Assignment Date], [Task #]:[Task #], [Task #]@row, Newest:Newest, 0)), 1), 0)

Now you can create a Notification from sheet two that triggers when every the "Last" checkbox is checked telling that person they are no longer assigned to the task.

Answers

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes it is possible with the help of a second sheet and a unique identifier (Task ID number or something)

Create a automation to move copy the row to a second sheet whenever the assigned to changes. On the second sheet you can now look for duplicate entries for the same task ID and notify the previous assignee.

• Gabby M.
    Gabby M. ✭✭
    edited 04/11/22
    Options

Hi @Paul H ,

Thanks for the answer. Just making sure I understood correctly. Does that mean someone will have to check duplicate tasks and notify manually?

Is there no workaround for something to be automatic?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Gabby M.

I hope you're well and safe!

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed. You can use it to get the start value and set up an Alert or similar to let you know if anything changes.

Make sense?

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Gabby M.
    Options

@Andrée Starå

This may work, could I trouble to share the sample you mention in your post? I have just sent you an e-mail.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Gabby M.

Excellent! I just shared it!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Gabby M.

No you would not have to find duplicates manually you could automate it

see my post here to find the last entry

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/322868#Comment_322868

• Gabby M.
    Options

@Paul H

Thank you! This is definitely above my comprehension of formulas, so please bear with me as the questions I may be asking are probably very basic...

When I copy the rows over to the new sheet, do I need a separate location to input the formulas you referenced in your post? or are the additional columns you recommended coded with the formulas you posted?

How is this going to trigger an automation to notify the person that has been removed? Will that need a separate workflow from the new sheet?

Thank you again for all your help

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Gabby M.

Here is a stripped down example, on the task sheet just two columns and the send row automation triggering whenever assigned to changes

I changed the assigned to three times each time it sent a copy of the row to the second sheet.

The second sheet has three extra columns. Two check boxes and one auto system created date

"Newest" Formula find who it is currently assigned to

=IF([Assignment Date]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Assignment Date]:[Assignment Date], [Task #]:[Task #], [Task #]@row)), 1)

"Last" formula find who it was last assigned to

=IFERROR(IF([Assignment Date]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Assignment Date]:[Assignment Date], [Task #]:[Task #], [Task #]@row, Newest:Newest, 0)), 1), 0)

Now you can create a Notification from sheet two that triggers when every the "Last" checkbox is checked telling that person they are no longer assigned to the task.

• Gabby M.
    Options

@Paul H

Thank you sooooo much for breaking it down and helping me understand. I just tried it and it works perfectly!!!!! 🤩