Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Formula Entry Formatting

Options

I'd like to suggest an enhancement for the formula bar in Smartsheet. As it stands, users are unable to expand the formula bar or input/format multi-line formulas directly. This limitation is particularly challenging when dealing with complex formulas, where keeping track of parenthesis pairings and overall structure is crucial.

Currently, the only workaround is to draft formulas in a separate editor and then paste them into the formula bar. However, this method results in the loss of any formatting once the formula is saved, which can lead to errors and confusion.

Therefore, I propose allowing the formula bar to be expandable and capable of accepting direct multiline input with formatting retention. This change would significantly enhance the user experience, especially for those of us dealing with intricate formulas, by improving readability and reducing the likelihood of errors.

Which is easier to understand when you are keeping track of multiple levels of nesting and arguments?

9 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a fantastic idea. By default I have my formula bar in Excel set for about 5 rows, where everyone else uses the default one row. Having the ability to expand the formula bar is a huge asset. Most of my projects deal with multiple formulas, especially linking to other sheets.

Sherry Fox

Business System Data Analyst

Del-Air Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• jsquaredz
    jsquaredz ✭✭
    edited 02/02/24
    Options

I added a couple images to further illustrate how difficult to understand/write a single line on non-formatted, nested code. For me it is difficult to keep track of the closing braces, parens, etc. if they are not formatted. Being able to type formatted code is important.

Thanks for voting the idea up.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

Great feedback. I also run into a lot of issues because the entry bar is on the same row as the formula. So if I'm doing a same row formula, I can't click the cell I need to because the formula entry box is in the way. It needs to be beneath the row.

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    Options

I never thought of this format for editing complex formulas, but once I've seen it how can you I back?!?!

Even if the text was edited in a multiline text box without "smart indenting"—and Smartsheet retained the extra spaces and CR's—that would be miles ahead.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

At the top, in the original post, there is a yellow bar, and on the left it (currently) says 6 votes (in a gray box). Click on that box to cast your vote, and you will see the number change to 7.

Sherry Fox

Business System Data Analyst

Del-Air Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    Options

But of course Sherry, I already did that when I commented. Maybe it doesn't report it globally within the minute I voted--be patient. Sometimes I even up-vote without commenting, but if I really like the idea I add a comment.