NEW Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge 🏅

Options

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have plenty of organizations such as Big Brothers, Big Sisters, etc. that pair kids up with mentors, but there is very little for them to do around here. Myself and a few family members founded a non-profit camp that allows the mentors to bring "their kids" out and go camping for a weekend with plenty of things to do such as fishing, horseback riding, scavenger hunts, arts and crafts and so much more. All at no cost to the kids or mentors.

Whenever I find money laying around, I donate it to the camp to help make each year even better than the last.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Provided I was unsuccessful in locating the person who had misplaced the $20 in the first place, I would take the $20 to a shelter for women and children, who are struggling to get back on their feet or trying to escape from an abusive situation, and donate the $20. I would also donate $120 from my own pocket so that the shelter could buy some much need items (such as blankets, socks, food, etc.). Sometimes these women and children arrive with nothing, or with very little so anything can help. I would also share my story with my co-workers, friends and family and encourage them to match my donation.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• CP_LAW
    CP_LAW ✭✭
    Options

I would donate it to the food bank at my university. Students are our future. They need to focus their energy on their education, rather than on finding food.

• Siejhi
    Siejhi ✭✭
    edited 03/07/23
    Options

First I'd commit to matching it per month, so creating an account: add the first monthly match of $20 in March and continue to add in $20 per month each month thereafter. By the end of the year, the account would have $200 in it, and at the end of each year I'd take out half — so $100 at the end of 2023 and $150 at the end of 2024. Each withdrawal I'd donate to my local animal shelter because they need more funding for spay and neuter. We have a large ["feral"] kitty population in my area. I'd also adopt a new kitten each time I made a donation to the center (lol). Now, back to the original $20 at hand that I have to spend right now, I'd donate it to the shelter I made this commitment to, just to get the ball rolling. 🐾

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In State of California, in keeping it or spending it would be technically theft.. I would seek to find the owner if possible. I would then turn over to authorities for them to locate the owner. If they came back and said no owner - its yours to do whatever you wanted. I would then tip or give to the local establishment where the money was originally found and put money back into the community.

• RebSchr
    RebSchr ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As many have said, I'd first make sure that I couldn't find the original owner.

I would pay it forward to someone in the service industry by giving them 2x the amount of what I found. So if it was $20, I would give them a $40 tip along with a note letting them know how much I appreciated them and hopefully it would make their day.

• speterson_603
    Options

Head toward my community pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to use it when they see a customer struggling to purchase their medication.

• Shaheen
    Shaheen ✭✭
    Options

Lots of responses to buy food for the homeless folks... if we can see this to be such a big issue, wonder why can't the folks we elected to steer the ship? Love the empathy from this group.

• malbers
    malbers Overachievers
    Options

Austin has a regional giving day (amplifyatx.org) through the 'I live here, I give here' nonprofit. I'd match the $20 I found and put $40 towards glioblastoma (brain cancer) research!

• B. McNabb
    Options

So many great answers and I agree with many above. $20 doesn't go as far as I would like these days so if I was near a homeless person I would offer a meal. I am also a pet lover so if option 1 wasn't readily available, I love the idea above of hitting the local Costco to get some much needed donations to a local shelter (obviously kicking in some of my own cash because $20 would be spent by walking in the door ;).

Breanna L. McNabb

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/07/23
    Options

I would go to Marshall's and buy as many socks as I possibly can (they have great deals on socks!). Then I would have those distributed at a local retirement home. It's been really cold these days so an extra pair of socks to keep their feet warm & cozy would probably go a long way.

• Shane Sorensen
    Shane Sorensen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Give it to any organization that 'matches' contributions to charities. That way the $20 turns into a $40 charity donation.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Pass on to someone on the street when I am in town or the donate to pet shelters at the checkout when buying dog food.

This discussion has been closed.