NEW Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge 🏅

Options

Comments

• Bobert
    Bobert ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would buy a homeless person some food. Everyone has great answers, but I think if everyone did small acts of kindness like buying a homeless person food, that would solve the larger problems.

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd leave it somewhere else for someone else to find.

• Natalie A
    Options

I would donate the $20 to my local food bank - these services have only continued to increase in importance since the pandemic and cash goes much further than actual food donations since they have special purchasing powers.

• Jenn Hilber
    Jenn Hilber Overachievers Alumni
    Options

We have a Colleague Emergency fund at our company that I actively support. Seeing our colleagues in distress during disaster is so difficult and I wish I could help everyone that requested assistance. I know there is someone that could benefit from that $20 when every dollar matters. We have had colleagues that were victims to flooding, wild fires and more since the fund began in 2016. To date, we have helped over 200 colleagues in need!

Jenn Hilber

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennhilber/

• Kelly Gabel
    Kelly Gabel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm, great question! I would probably use it to buy some staple items from the grocery store to give to someone I see in need.

Kelly L. Gabel

Owner/Founder

Tech-Savvy Academy

kellylgabel.com

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/10/23
    Options

Perhaps it would be good to take the money to an elementary school and ask one or more teachers to run a little contest in their classrooms to seek out the best idea for spending the money in a way that would create the most good in the world. It would get lots of kids thinking about generosity, about the various ways that people define/rank "good," and about how their actions (small and large) impact others. The teacher(s) could tie the ideas to actual costs and to measuring return. And if teams were encouraged, then kids could increase their cooperation and group brainstorming skills. Plus it would just be fun! Then I'd help the winner(s) implement their idea and see how it worked out.

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would donate the $20 to the local food bank - match the $20 and donate some of my time helping them with whatever needs to be done.

• Josh Reed
    Josh Reed ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd buy lotto tickets so I could potentially have millions to help people with.

don't @ me

• JCluff
    JCluff ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd give my kid the $20 and tell them to find someone without a lunch each day at school, buy them lunch and share a meal together.

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni
    Options

To do something good for me is to give it to someone who needs it more. I would just exchange it into 4 x 5$ bills and give it to first 4 people in financial crisis I would meet that day.

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd first look around to see if anyone was nearby and ask if they lost it. If the owner could not be found, I'd purchase something from my cat's adoption shelter (Angelcat Haven Feline Rescue) Amazon Wish List. It's a small, local organization that does so much good. 🐱

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/10/23
    Options

I set the twenty-dollar bill in front of my daughter. She asks what it is and I say it's money. She lights up. She asks if we can buy something on Amazon. I hesitate, say, no, not really. I say they don't take this kind of money. She picks the green paper up and looks at the pictures. She smells it. She's five, she likes to smell things. She asks if we can buy a car, and I say no, it's not enough for that. She examines the hawkish face on the front, tracing his features with her tiny index finger. Who's that? she asks. I say he was a president, a long time ago. She makes the p sound and says p-p-p-president. Then she asks, how long ago? I know better than to use years -- that won't mean anything to her yet -- so I say he was president before grandpa and grandma were born, and her eyes grow wide. Was he nice? she asks. I pause. Shake my head. He's not really known for being nice, I say. She frowns, thinking about this for a moment. A cloud passes in front of the sun. She shivers and says, what should we do with it? She's tiny. I try to wrap my arm around her, but she's FIVE so she squirms away. I'm not cold, she says. She is, but the clouds pass and thankfully the sun is out again. I have an idea, she says. Can I whisper it? I lean my head down and enjoy the feel of her breath on the side of my face as she speaks softly into my ear. It takes her a while. It often does. But when she's finished, I straighten and nod. She leans into me, resting her head on my arm. I say, yes, that's perfect. That's exactly right.

• GinaP
    GinaP ✭✭✭
    Options

My first thought was, why am I on the side of the road? Splitting hairs here, but what road is this? I would put it in my pocket and figure out how to get back home (hoping I have my car in this scenario). After I got home, I would double the value of the 20$ twice to help out with disaster rescue and relief efforts of whatever charitable contribution match my company was doing currently. I would send 40$ to our company's portal (with their match of 40$), 80$ would be paid forward. Seeing that I am at my computer, I would probably check again if the registration for the 2023 Mobilizer Race to certification enrollment is open, then I would get back to work on my current Smartsheet projects.

• Brandi T
    Brandi T ✭✭✭
    Options

Much like many others, first and foremost I would look for the proper owner. I am fortunate in the fact that I don't need that $20 to survive, but who knows the situation of the person who lost the money? It could be that was their last $20 until payday, maybe they were planning on using the money to buy their grandparents a meal, the money could have been the first $20 that a server brought home as a tip and they were going to frame it, maybe it was dinner for the week for someone in need, maybe it was a careless drop in the pocket for someone with an excess of money - no matter what, it had an owner and if they are still nearby they deserve some kindness and their $20 back.

Now, assuming the owner is not around, I would assess my surroundings to see where it can do the most good. I like to give back at the source, so if there is someone nearby who needs the money in the moment I would pass it along. Is there a kid nearby who doesn't have enough money to buy ice cream from the local vendor because they spent all theirs on a younger sibling? Is there someone in need of a good meal who maybe can't afford it or isn't allowed in a restaurant because they appear homeless? Is there an animal shelter across the street that needs donations of food, toys, blankets? Is there a donation center that could use some extra money to buy some blankets or socks for the homeless to keep warm in the cold winters? Is there someone who just looks like they have had a rough day and they need a pick-me-up?

I find if you open your eyes and look around wherever you are, there is always someone who could use a little bit of brightness in their day. Whether its $20, a quick hello, a brief chat, a compliment, or a kind word, there is a lot you can do with so little and it goes a long way to make someone's day better. ❤️

• Tracie
    Tracie ✭✭
    Options

I love donating food to local food banks. With $20, I can stretch that a very long way. I personally love canned fruit cocktail and it's healthy and tasty. At Aldi's or Costco, I can buy a lot of cans to donate, of that yummy fruit cocktail and vegetables like canned beans and corn. That $20 would go a long way to helping families bridge a needed gap.

This discussion has been closed.