NEW Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge 🏅

Comments

• Sing C
    Sing C âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

We have a lot of people who experience homelessness in Glasgow and I would donate to a local soup kitchen. It would be easy to give it to someone experiencing homelessness but soup kitchens and similar places that help the vulnerable are able to get the benefit of what economists call the "multiplier effect" and make a greater impact for the 20 dollars for the local communities.

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Ceridian

LinkedIn

• Simon SIA
    Simon SIA âś­âś­

Since 20 dollars wouldn't get you far in my area, then realistically I would use it towards giving my kids an extra fun weekend - going to the trampoline park, swimming pool or similar that they really like and usually totally makes their day! :)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Since there seems to be A LOT of "donate to charity", I'd like to go ahead and point out that everyone should do some research before donating to just any charity. There are a lot of them that actually keep a good chunk of every donation, and there are others that give more of each donation back to the actual cause itself.

Is your money going to a bunch of junk mail or "thanks for donating" gifts, or is your money going to the animals/people in need/research/etc.?

• Veronica Cross
    Veronica Cross âś­âś­âś­

I would give the money to my daughter's middle school social worker because there is always a student who needs school supplies or other living materials.

• Veronica Cross
    Veronica Cross âś­âś­âś­

Thanks for that statement. I am a mother to a Cadette scout and volunteer.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

On behalf of the person who lost the $20, I would match it and donate the $40 to the Shriners or St. Jude's. I'm an animal lover, and I love to help people. More than anything though I like to help kids, and kids who require help from these organizations are often the most in need.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 03/08/23

I'd buy 1 dollar scratch-offs and give them away as prizes at a local bike race. Half would to go riders...best trick, longest wheelie, etc. Half would go to the crowd, mostly grandparents and siblings of riders...biggest smile, coolest hat, most colorful shoes, etc. I'd hype it up too.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Todd M Keller
    Todd M Keller âś­âś­âś­âś­

I'd donate it to care-net.org a non-profit Pro-Life Christian pregnancy center......

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

I'm thinking of a pay it forward style solution. Buy (or put towards) someone's meal, groceries, bill, etc.

• AmyB
    AmyB âś­âś­

First I'd try to find the owner, but if that's not possible it would probably depend what's on my mind at that time. Sometimes it's pets and the Humane Society, especially for their senior dogs that have a hard time getting adopted. Currently, my heart is with teachers and how tough the job is and how more and more is being demanded of them. They often fund their own classrooms, so looking for a donors choose request or other specific needs. This is one place the relatively small gift of $20 can touch many people/children and make a difference!

• Stacey Carrasco
    Stacey Carrasco âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

If I couldn't find the owner, I too would pay it forward so many great ideas but definitely find a way to give it away!

Senior Program Coordinator

De Anza College

• Jim Wilson
    Jim Wilson âś­âś­âś­

I would be making a donation to a local pet shelter. They are always in need while helping the little ones that find their way to them.

• I would donate to the senior center in my neighborhood as they provide many events and support services to seniors in need.

• Adriane Price
    Adriane Price âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Well I have been on the other end where I have lost money. Female pant pockets are not a place for dollar bills. I can say without a doubt that it was well over $20. Let's just say it was in the XXX range...so I can say without a doubt if someone such as myself found a $20 dollar, it would all be paid forward. It is debatable where it would be required because there are many places/people in need. I would say start out where you feel most comfortable, I have donated, given money and provided my time to many different shelters and just on a whim in a movie theater to a single mom. The most enjoyable for me was the woman's shelter. I would check with the shelter to see what was needed take those items to the shelter.

Adriane

• JKP0009
    JKP0009 âś­âś­

I'm really impressed with some people's answers on here. I've enjoyed reading the different, creative responses everyone has. If it were me, and assuming that the owner couldn't be found, I think that I would find a food truck and double the amount to pay for as many meals as I could. Food trucks are one of the best sources of local business to support, especially since the owners have often sunk a lot of their own funds into it. Food trucks often have lower prices than a brick-and-mortar establishment, so the money can go along way towards feeding people.

This discussion has been closed.