Email automation with PARENT/CHILD data from pivot table

Options

I'm trying to create an output of specific rows of a pivot table to attach/include in an automated email. See below for an example table I'd like to extract from the master pivot table.

The "Alert someone" automation allows me to specify which cell information I want to include but does not seem to be able to allow for Parent/Child relationships in the pivot table. When I used the {{ }} approach it default to the PARENT row but did not output the CHILD rows. Is this currently possible in smartsheets or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,

Shannon

Best Answer

Answers

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you thought about a dashboard instead to display the information in a nice chart?

Ken Armstrong

Smartsheet Operations Analyst, Carelon Medical Benefits Management

Certified Smartsheet Administrator

Be Firm! Be Fair! Be Friendly! Be Honest!!!

• ShannonL
    ShannonL ✭✭✭
    Options

@Ken Armstrong I would consider it. Would the dashboard allow me to send an email to specific contacts so they can only see their specific row data but not other data from the Master pivot?

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ShannonL Unfortunately not. Dashboards are more for displaying data for teams or groups. Its a bit time consuming at first but maintains it self if you were to create a dashboard per person you want to display the information. I do this with KPI tracking for employees.

Ken Armstrong

Smartsheet Operations Analyst, Carelon Medical Benefits Management

Certified Smartsheet Administrator

Be Firm! Be Fair! Be Friendly! Be Honest!!!

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ShannonL,

Dashboards are a nice way to display data. I agree with everything @Ken Armstrong mentioned.

Depending on how many contacts you have, an alternative might be to create unique report for each contact and set up to send as an attachment. There are limitations to this but you could set it up to send out on a weekly basis for a set amount of time.

If your contacts are all setup in Smartsheet, you could create a report and set the contact cell to "Current User" so that they would only see the row data that belongs to them.

Some of these solutions involve some Smartsheet magic to be done behind the scenes as an admin... but there may be a creative way to solve for this.

All the best,

🌻 Sandra

• ShannonL
    ShannonL ✭✭✭
    edited 05/26/23
    Options

@Sandra Guzman Can you explain this in a little more detail? This seems like it could work.

When I'm in the report, I've sorted by Contacts and can see the information I need to send the contact. However, There is not an option to automate an email in the report only to send as attachment. How could this be automated?

Thanks,

Shannon

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ShannonL

I hope you're well and safe!

Here it is.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ShannonL
    ShannonL ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Andrée Starå. I saw the option to send as attachment but that would require me to open each sheet to send that attachment. I am looking for way through the Automation Tab to do that on a recurring basis.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@ShannonL

Happy to help!

You can set that up in that option. (see below)

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ShannonL
    ShannonL ✭✭✭
    Options

Got it. Thanks.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ShannonL

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!