Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Side-by-side fields in Forms

Options
vdemattei
vdemattei âś­âś­âś­âś­

Similar to other form products (like Form Assembly), I would like to place/format fields within the form with more flexibility. At the most basic level, I'd like to place 2 fields, side by side.

My particular uses would be:

Dependent Name: Dependent Age:

And also:

Income Type: Income Amount:

I actually could use more than just 2 fields side by side, but even just 2 would be a huge improvement. They would still be connected to sequential columns in the sheet, but on the form, I'd like for more flexibility in where the fields are placed. It would allow for a visually more appealing and better organized end product.

26 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Robin0618
    Robin0618 âś­âś­
    Options

I would like to know when/if this feature is available. I have a form with two date fields that should be side-by-side on the form.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

More robust form building would be amazing. Even something similar to the dashboard grid builder where you can drag and size drop downs. As it is, the forms tend to get very

l

o

n

g

• Kurt Robohm
    Kurt Robohm âś­âś­
    Options

Would be great with forms to be able to arrange fields into 2 or 3 columns, so that small data fields can be grouped in the same row, thereby using real estate more efficiently.

• JJMarr
    JJMarr âś­âś­
    Options

I would love to be able to put short fields side by side in the forms so that I can have a shorter form overall. This would allow all the fields I need completed to appear in the main view, rather than having to scroll down to see the balance of the fields.

Is this in progress?

• Liz Zinter
    Liz Zinter âś­âś­
    Options

"Table-style" fields in forms would be a game changer! We utilize a Smartsheet for capturing an individual's hourly effort across multiple categories, and even with logic applied to a series of drop-down menus the form is rather long and difficult for the user to ensure accurate entries. This often results in additional downstream effort to correct. Example below:

• Koleen Steiner
    Koleen Steiner âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Yes - all of these comments! Let's improve the Form-ability in this platform! Not only data fields next to each other, how about inserting images? These can help clarify an ask or simply make the form's appearance more pleasing.

Picture of a Word form (loath Word). We can do better than Word! SharePoint forms also offer the "grid" experience to align the fields in the manner we are requesting. My intent is to provide examples of what works, vs leaving you there to guess what we want to experience!

Thanks!!

Koleen Steiner

IT PM & Smartsheet Guru, BeiGene, Inc.

• TimmyT
    TimmyT âś­
    edited 05/01/24
    Options

Has there been any action/development from Smartsheet on this issue?