Multiple Automated Workflows Triggering for same item

Reese
Reese ✭✭
edited 03/08/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi! I have helped design a Smartsheet that we are using to track requests. There are three scenarios that we need to capture, and each scenario has a slightly different workflow because certain approvals are or are not required along the way. I am running into an issue when the request is declined, all of my workflows are triggering for the same item, so therefore the Assigned person is receiving 3 emails about the rejection as opposed to one. I tried adding conditions so that only the scenario identified in the workflow will trigger, but that has not worked. What is the fix?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Reese,

Here's a step-by-step approach to troubleshoot and potentially solve this issue:

• Initially, double-check the conditions set for each workflow. Ensure they are mutually exclusive, meaning the conditions in one workflow should not be true for another scenario. This prevents multiple workflows from triggering simultaneously.
    • Make your trigger criteria as specific as possible. For instance, if you are capturing different scenarios, you might have a column that specifies the scenario type (e.g., "Scenario A," "Scenario B," "Scenario C"). Your workflow condition for each scenario should explicitly require that the scenario column matches the specific scenario it's designed for.
    • If your workflows are still overlapping, consider using more advanced conditional logic. This might involve using formula-driven flags in your sheet to act as workflow triggers rather than simple cell values. For example, you could use a formula to set a "Trigger Workflow" column to TRUE only when all the specific conditions for that workflow are met.
    • Another strategy might involve creating a sequential logic where one workflow updates a specific cell or flag in the sheet, which then serves as a condition for triggering the next workflow. This can be complex to manage but can ensure workflows are triggered in a specific order and only under the right conditions.
    • If the issue arises specifically when a request is declined, make sure that the condition for a request being declined is clearly defined and used distinctly across your workflows. It might help to have a dedicated column that indicates the status of the request (e.g., Pending, Approved, Declined), and your workflows should use this column to trigger the appropriate actions.
    • After making adjustments to your workflows, test each scenario thoroughly to ensure that only the intended workflow triggers. You might need to create test cases for each scenario and monitor the outcomes to adjust the conditions further as needed.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI Reese,

Can you provide some screenshots of your sheet, workflow details so that I can have a look in them for you?

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.