September Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When my house is decluttered. Things are picked up and put away, so wherever I'm sitting/standing, I can concentrate on what needs to be dealt with and not the other periphery items that are visually cluttering my vision and adding stress to my mind.

On the other hand, when I'm in my cubicle and can crank the tunes and work uninterrupted on a task.

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

My mind always seems to function at its peak potential when I am in the shower or really late at night when I am trying to wind down. I have no idea why but both of those times are usually when I have my best ideas and do my best problem-solving or solution engineering. It is also when my best work-arounds appear if I am facing a particularly challenging problem. I also find that my mind is at its best when I am provided with the opportunity to explore and bring new ways of thinking to address struggles within our work or office. Being free to explore and think outside the box is what led me to find, and bring, Smartsheet into our toolbox so many years ago!

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• adam.b
    adam.b ✭✭✭✭

My mind works best after a nice rest, whether it is a good night of sleep, or after taking a day off to recharge my mental batteries. I also work my best after a good workout or after I have stepped away for a bit to do something none work related.

• Laurie D
    Laurie D ✭✭✭

When I am trying to work out a solution to something, such as a Smartsheet workflow or formula, I find that setting aside the problem and taking a walk outside really helps. My office is half a block from a bluff that overlooks the ocean and the view really clears my mind and most of the time, a solution comes to my mind. I find that other times, I find that my mind is working on solutions while I am doing other things, just running in the background.

• jimf
    jimf ✭✭

The best time and place is in the morning or evening on a walk…usually at the beach. The sound of the waves dulls out other distracting sounds and allows me to really focus.

• I definitely work best mid-morning with no interruptions. Sleep has been rubbed away, coffee has kicked in. Yesterday's problems can be tackled with fresh eyes, and the new day's priorities can be scheduled. Early afternoons as well, the morning rush is over, and as long as there are no interruptions, I can work steadily and peacefully until the end of theday.

• VictoriaD
    VictoriaD ✭✭✭

My mind is constantly going and working on problems. When I think about my mind working, there's a few layers.

If i have to choose a specific time, I'd surprise myself and say after my afternoon nap. At that point, I have a big push to complete what I've worked on through the day, but also had the opportunity to step away from my work and allow my mind to process everything from the morning.

While that's true, mornings, my mind is freshest and evening is when i often get big "Ah HA's." The afternoon is a bit of a mix of the two.

• I think when I became a parent this shifted significantly for me. Prior to our son's arrival, I was 100% a night owl. Specifically, 9 - 11 PM was my sweet spot for many years on creativity, innovation, and strategy. Now, sleep is the precious metal of life - rare, highly sought-after, doesn't come without a price.

Our son is 5 now and has enough energy to power a small town. Because of this, first thing in the morning, before he wakes up, is my new sweet spot. Interestingly enough, however, when we are playing together is when some of my best breakthroughs have been recently on ideas and strategy. Mainly because as I try to focus solely my energy, time, and thoughts with him, I inadvertently create clarity on work.

• Rowena
    Rowena ✭✭✭

I find that my mind works best in the most unexpected places. For instance, the quiet solitude of the bathroom often sparks my most creative and clear thoughts. It’s a unique sanctuary where ideas flow freely and solutions come naturally.

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭

I am by no means a morning person, but once I get rolling- that's my best focus time. I love getting a lot done before people are even in the office (even better when wfh and no one else is up and about yet).

Undisturbed and fresh for the day!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have always said I do my best work in my sleep, well problem solving anyway. I am a morning person and hit my office at 6 AM during a time when most of the company is still sleeping out on the west coast. You will find me in a low light no noise office with very little distractions. Once the world wakes up and the activities start I find more distractions.

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of interesting answers so far! I am not a morning person — but my best productive times are either in the early morning before anyone else is in the office (with a nice, strong, hot cup of coffee), or, at the end of the day when everyone has left and it's really quiet.

I have a large whiteboard in my office that I use to diagram processes, which helps in building formulas and dashboards; the visual and the action of drawing helps me to come up with good Smartsheet solutions.

• KHetzel
    KHetzel ✭✭✭

Oh that Mythical Place!

After 46 years one would think I would have a better handle on what and when things are flowing but it seems up to be to the universe trolls. I work best when there is a deadline but not extreme pressure, when there are no distractions but something to entertain the special part of my brain (music or mindless TV), and when I have a safety net of someone being close enough to be able to respond if I have a question (what's the word for the curvy utensil we eat ice cream with? 🥄 oh yeah a spoon!) but not with someone close enough to look over my shoulder and judge 👩‍⚖️ me with their silent jeopardy music (I know they are thinking it).

• Darla Brown
    Darla Brown Overachievers

After an early workout and a strong cup of coffee, I am ready to tackle my To-Do List. If I sleep in or skip gym time, I am foggy-brained! I also refresh myself at lunch with an outdoor walk. Helps to come back to the desk refreshed and ready to finish the day strong!

Of course, a great playlist helps!

Darla Brown

What you meditate on, you empower!

Overachiever - Core Product Certified - Mobilizer - EAP

• L.Elizondo23
    L.Elizondo23 ✭✭
    edited 09/04/24

My mind works best when I'm not rushed and when my list is short. I make an effort to take care of small tasks as soon as they pop up, so I can allow myself time to dive deep on big projects and topics.