September Question of the Month - Join the conversation and receive a badge

Comments

• As someone with ADHD, when and where my mind works best is constantly changing depending on the need. Sometimes it's in a bustling coffee shop with the aroma of caffeine everywhere. Other times, it's in complete silence with soft, calm lighting and snacks at my fingertips. Depending on the tasks for the day, I try to switch it up. Nature is another big one for me personally. If I can sneak a few hours outside on the porch with my dog by my side, I can tackle the world :)

• mvillasin
    mvillasin ✭✭
    edited 09/04/24

Time and place are less important than the current 'mental load'. For example, my mind works best when it is freed of having to devote resources to an activity that the body performs automatically, such as walking (in a peaceful and quiet environment such as a trail in the woods), a repetitive task such as cleaning, sanding and staining a piece of wood, or doing reps while exercising with weights.

This could also apply while rocking your child to sleep, brushing out your dog (or cat), folding laundry, etc. It just has to be something you do automatically so your mind can think of other (hopefully more important) things.

• ibett55
    ibett55 ✭✭

Honestly, the end of the day. My brain is on FIRE the last 2 hours sometimes. Nothing motivates me more than knowing I am about to leave after the last "to-dos" on my list are checked off! 😎

• When my office is clean, all my technology items are charged, and my water tumbler is full. Life just feels so much easier - and when things are easy, it's a breeding ground for productivity.

• Jay M
    Jay M ✭✭

Post Caffeine intake? I think the old adage of and "An idle mind is the devil's playground" resonates with me. If I am busy with things that challenge me, and i am able to track progress, I thrive in solving the brainteasers that is called work. If there is a lot of down time, I find myself filling it up with Personal Development, Mindfulness, and Team building activities. Being able to Improve my skills, being Mindful of self or others, and building a team that is willing to help elevate each other "Fills my Cup". Giving back to the family, your work and your community recharges my battery bank which allows me to do more.

To Sum it up, fill your scheduled with challenging tasks, give back to others, and make yourself better that you were yesterday, keeps my mind honed to be able to cut away the useless non-productive mind-numbing activities. 😁

• DesireeJones
    DesireeJones ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Fellow SmartSheeters!

Being able to work remote over the past few years has allowed me to thrive in many places. I have found myself the most productive and creative in an environment that is crowded and noisy. The chaos that ensues in a coffee shop during the morning rush, the background noise and laughs in a busy lounge, or at a cafe with utensils clinking and clanking all around me - all represent the perfect environment to get engaged with my best ideas.

Thank you for reading! 😊

• Karen Webber
    Karen Webber ✭✭✭✭

My brain works best when I've completed a task successfully (big or small doesn't matter, as long as it was a good one!) and am switching between task and strategy orientation. That move from practical to bigger thinking, combined with the satisfaction of having reached a goal, makes me feel as if I can do anything!

• mcullen
    mcullen ✭✭✭✭✭

My mind operates at peak performance when I'm working on improvement projects. The fulfillment of enhancing others' workflows is truly gratifying.

Michelle Cullen

• I enjoy problem solving in small groups (esp a 2pm meeting), but I do my best work in solitude - walking or at my desk. I am able to focus deeply and innovate when immersed in evocative musical scores and can spread my work out on a large monitor. My mind works best when I have a clear mission/sense of priority and am asked to connect people, pioneer new ideas, and inspire positive change.

• I find that my mind works best early in the morning while I am working out. I get up and start working out at 5:00 am (EST). I love the rowing machine and find that I do my best thinking while on the rower.

• BevL
    BevL ✭✭

I think my mind works best in the mornings and when I'm working on something exciting that I can really engage with. I find that I enjoy trying to figure out the puzzles of life so when I'm working on a project that I can really sit with, turn over and over, push, pull, and solve it's really exciting for me.

However once afternoon hits, especially if my infant (and current office mate) starts crying, all this shuts down and can be difficult to get back until the next morning. Because of this, I try to start working as early as I can.

• Courtney
    Courtney ✭✭✭

I find my mind works best in the late morning, around 10 or 11 a.m., when I'm in a quiet space with natural light, like my home office. It's the sweet spot where I've had time to wake up fully, but the day is still fresh and full of possibilities! 🤗

• AntonioC
    AntonioC ✭✭✭✭

I don't think I have a single place triggering my best ideas. I for sure have a couple:

1. Alone in the mountains, hiking or climbing (although I climb with a partner, there's indeed more time I spend with myself than talking with my climbing partner)
    2. Discussing random topics or even the problem I'm trying to solve with somebody that has no context about it and definitely somebody who is not involved (I'm cautious with work-related topics to not share confidential info though)

I guess the first one works very well because let my mind free up, focus on completely different things (e.g., survival mode while climbing or simply relaxation while hiking in the nature)

The second works too because I got inputs and inspiration outside of the box from somebody that has probably resolved similar problems in other context or at least is not touched by the problem and that impartial feedback is invaluable

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni

My mind works best in the shower 😃 I think it's because it's a place where there aren't that many distractions. I get my best insights and ideas in the shower…. doesn't hurt that I'm a morning person.

• Tera K
    Tera K ✭✭✭

My mind seems to work at peak capacity when I am asleep!🤣 I wake up in the middle of the night with ideas, thoughts, concerns and have to jump up and get them captured. I know at times it can feel stressful and I have had to leave a note pad on my nightstand for some of these (mainly the ones that stress me out). But I found that when the house is quiet and it seems like I have all the time in the world without life rushing at me, in the moment is when I can really produce my best or my masterpiece.

Then when I am done I feel peach and relief and even pride of what I just completed.