Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sheet with Database Normalization (Primary and Foreign Keys)

Options
Jay Bautista
Jay Bautista ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Can I upvote for Database Normalization? Many colleagues and I are using Smartsheet daily and are starting to implement it company-wide. One thing we'd like to do with it is use like a database. That said, it would be great if there's some capability of assigning primary and foreign keys.

Comments

• Erik Rucker
    Options

Upvote noted!  I'd love to have some more information on what solutions you'd like to build and what the schema might look like.  For example, are you wanting to do single-item lookups (so a 1:1 relationship) or a master-detail type schema (so 1:many) or something more complex.  Can you provide some more details about what you're wanting to build?  

• darklydrawl
    Options

Agree.  This would make Smart Sheet rather powerful.  Right now it is useful, but rather toy like with regards to data integrity.  I am hoping the product matures and improves over time as it shows a lot of promise.

Bring in more database like capabilities would be a great move.

• Shirley Hattayer
    Options

I also upvote this. I googled "like smartsheet but more like a database" and came up with this conversation. 

I would settle for 1:1 relational capability - i.e. to pull customer name, address, email and phone into a record by a lookup. Then, I'd love to have 1:many, to do invoices, for example. 

The basics of databases, that's all I need. Nothing fancy, just some linking fields - you guys at Smartsheet can do this, I know it. :)

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/24/16
    Options

Hi Shirley-- I've added your vote for this to our enhancement request list, thanks for the input! In the meantime, have you had a chance to check out our Smartsheet Merge integration with Google Docs? This allows you to pull data from a sheet into any Google Doc, so you can create invoices, form letters, and so on. Let me know if you run into any trouble implementing this, if you decide to do so. 

• Shirley Hattayer
    Options

Yes, I merge every day, thanks. What I still need there is the ability to merge graphics as well as text.

Thank you,

Shirley

This discussion has been closed.