Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

In excel you can have multiple worksheets in one document. How does this work in smartsheet?

Options
Kim Hampstead
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

In excel you can set up multiple tabs or worksheets in one document. How can I best do this using smartsheet? Any tips? I have a excel sheet from finance using multiple worksheets and staff names, project codes and formulas for high level tracking of time against multiple strands of work. I would like them to use smartsheet but stuck in how I can get their excel sheet to be set up in smartsheet.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kim

Best if you start from looking at what smartsheet can do for you that Excel cannot, then use the new opportunities for collaboration and easy data gathering that Smartsheet offer, to design a much improved workflow that will achieve far more for you can you could possibly do in Excel. 

If you start from the point of view... how do I do in Smartsheet, what Ido in Excel then you will miss some real opportunities. (Smartsheet works differently anyway).

We appreciate the issue for you initially is... you havent discovered what Smartsheet can do for you yet, so it seems easier to come at this from an Excel base, but believe me, the faster route to success is from the Smartsheet direction. 

If you need any help visualising this methodology then we offer an hour of Free consultation. What you ask is one of the most common opening requests our team get.  Why? ... mostly because the majority of businesses do things with Excel that can be done far better in Smartsheet....... and they have just realised that! 

good luck to "Down Under" from the UK "Up North".

Richardr

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Richard.  Smartsheets can do some much more then excel.  But one way to have mutliple sheets (your tabs in an excel are not individual sheets) is to create a Workspace.  The functionality isn't as quick and easy as excel but at least to can keep all the related sheets in one area.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well said, Richard and Stephanie.

Kim, 

After you've talked to Richard, there are great tutorials and overview information available.

There are scheduled Webinars here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/webinars

And I love the videos:

https://www.smartsheet.com/videos/what-is-smartsheet#Video-Categories

And if there are specific how-to or best-practice questions, the Community is a great resource.

Craig

• aaronedmistone
    Options

This is an old thread but this functionality can be replicated by doing the following:

1. Create a web page or a .html file that you link people to who will use this pseudo workbook.
    2. Embed the individual sheets using the <iframe> HTML element. (Smartsheet produces the embed code when you Publish the sheet)
    3. Create tabs in the body of the HTML document (W3Schools example)
    4. Using the above example, replace the names of the cities with the names of your sheets.
    5. Replace the <h3> and <p> elements of the cities with the <iframe> elements from Smartsheet

Finally, here is an example of the above using a placeholder <iframe> element.

Click here to view example on JSFiddle

If you have some basic Javascript knowledge you can skip the example and just hide/show the appropriate <iframe> element based on which tab's onclick event fired. You could even allow for sheets to automatically be loaded and tabs generated from a Smartsheet workspace using the Smartsheet API.

Realistically with a bit of know-how there is plenty of ways to implement this behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.