Resource Allocation

Greetings, 

I am new to the aspect of resource allocation. 

I need to know apart from people can objects (computers, scientific instruments etc)  be allocated as resources, as I need to keep a tab on the overuse of certain equipments at my organisation. 

Next, can only people with licensed accounts be tracked as resources on Smartsheet ? I am able to add people who don't have a Smartsheet account, however I cannot see the percentage allocation under the resource view part. Is it because I am not a system admin? 

Thank you

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, objects can be allocated as resources. They need to have an email address and be invited as a user to the account, but it doesn't need to be confirmed so you could use computer1@company.com

No, it's only the resource viewers that need to be licensed users so everyone and everything can be tracked as a resource.

You don't need to be a system admin to see the resource allocation. Have you followed the steps in the link below?

More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1346971-resource-views

Resource Viewer

Resource Viewers are able to track everyone in the account's allocation percentage across all sheets. A Resource Viewer needs to have a user license under a Business or Enterprise account. (More information on this feature is available in the Resource Views help article.)

While a license is required to become a Resource Viewer, everyone on the account (both licensed and unlicensed users) can be tracked as a resource by the Resource Viewer.

Hope that helps and let me know if it still doesn't work after you followed the steps above!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Greetings,

Thank you for the reply. 

Don't you think it will be tedious if we need to create email idea for multiple items ? Incase we have more than a 100 items, it would be impossible to create an email id for each item. 

As for resource view: 

• Ensure that the  people who you want to track are included on the account—they can be unlicensed users, but they must be included on the account. (For more information, see the User Management article.)

I am not the System admin. Hence I am not able to view the progress of few people I added on my "Assigned to" column. From what I read, the system admin has to add the required people to the account and then we can follow their progress. Please Correct me if I am wrong. 

Thank you

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

The simplest way would be to create a CSV file and use that to create all the emails needed.

The system admin has to add the users/emails to the account and assign you Resource Viewer rights and then you'll be able to see the Resource Views.

Hope that helps!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.