Using automation to create copy of deleted rows

Jon FriendJon Friend ✭✭✭✭✭
06/30/21

A suggestion for the SmartSheet development team: there's lots of posts in the community forum about retrieving deleted records and making back-up tables. Perhaps something that would fill a gap would be a new option on automation: trigger = "When rows are deleted" !! Seems so easy and simple then to set-up a workflow: When rows are deleted, copy to new sheet. Effectively, it would make a table of deleted records. If that could occur, we could create a column in that new "deleted records" table: RestoreStatus. A smartSheet user with permission to the deletedRecords sheet could then - when a record needs to be retrieved - simply update the RestoreStatus column, and another workflow could then copy that record BACK to the original production table. Many more things we could do... if only we had the ability to setup an automation with the trigger: "When rows are deleted"

Comments

• Jon FriendJon Friend ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a good idea to start with, but I do have a few thoughts on it...

If we use "When a row is deleted" for a trigger... Then the row already has to be deleted from the sheet which means there is no data to copy.

Here is a quick thought on something that may or may not work, but...

Insert a checkbox column called [Delete?]. Instruct users to check the box for rows they want to delete instead of deleting the row itself. Set up a Move Row automation to move the row to your "Deleted Records" sheet when the box is checked.

thinkspi.com

• Hi @Jon Friend

I agree that Paul's solution might be a better way to manage deletions if you want full visibility, however there is a simple alert you can set up to notify you about deletions.

The alert doesn't contain any row information, it just sends an email when rows are deleted (with the number of rows and who made the action). You would then need to use the Activity Log in the sheet in order to identify the previous data and add it back into the sheet.

Here's how to find the simple workflow:

Automations > Manage Workflows > Create Workflow > Basic Workflow

Cheers,

Genevieve