Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update email address for contacts does not update shared sheets automatically

Hello all,

I have been in the process to update email address for some of my contacts due to the change of domains. However in doing this I realized that all my sheets shared with those specific contacts are not updated with the new information.

Let's say that I have already shared or assigned tasks to these contacts. I have to look and update manually each field or shared sheet that I have with these contacts.

Is there an easier way to do this? Or Smartsheet has a feature to update all sheets that I am not aware of?

Thank you

Comments

• Hello Camilo,

Changing an email address in your Smartsheet Contacts or User Management won't update their email addresses in your sheets. You'll need to manually edit these email addresses per sheet to change them.

You can create a filter on your sheet to narrow down the specific email addresses, then change the top one and drag-fill that down to make the process easier. Details on filters can be found in our Help Center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504659-using-filters-to-show-or-hide-sheet-data

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That seems like something that should be fixed.  

If you have a company of >500people, and more than a few hundred sheets, then manually replacing emails on every single one of those shared sheets sounds like a completely unnecessary exercise in tedium - something that software and computers were designed to do for us.

• Hello Shaine,

Thanks for your comments! I understand the current process but it becomes too time-consuming when you have multiple sheets and you also have sheets that you don't remember you assigned a task or share to a specific person.

What worries me if that this is also an internal point of Security we have open with the tool. In my company, I am responsible for making sure that only the right people have the access. So when there is a change of email or the user needs to be deleted this process makes it harder to achieve it.

I agree with Brad.

Let me know if there is a less time-consuming alternative to do this.

Thank you,

Camilo

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've also just bumped into this...i've got a colleague who has got married and changed her family name...it's crazy not to be able to update her notifications and tasks directly from 'contacts'.  It will take hours to make all the changes and then what assurity is there that all changes have been captured.  There's a big risk here that errors will be made or something important missed.

SS need to deal with this one pronto.  #bonkers

Can i suggest SS stop trying to make SS look pretty by moving all the buttons around and actually concentrate on what matters....ie the above and @mentions and having two axis on a chart.

I'm going back to using slate and chalk.

• Rick Floyd
    Rick Floyd ✭✭✭✭

I agree this needs to be made the highest priority.  I have over 110 active sheets and 100 tasks in the template.  That means I will need to go in a manually change over 11,000 email entries because our company email domain is changing.

Come on - there has to be a better way to do this....

This discussion has been closed.