Ownership of sheets and workapps

I have been working for sometime on a collection of sheets, datashuttle workflows and a bunch of other things and have recently published them via a workapp, how do I make sure that ownership of these objects is not just limited to me to make sure that it doesnt "die" if my account gets limited, removed or otherwise modified that I am not the single person who can "administer" these things or has a "copy" of them to use.

I assume in the sheets and the workapp its assign people to the ownership role, but for datashuttle it seems a bit more complex in that there appears to be no way to assign other users to workflows in datashuttle

Best Answer

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Answer ✓

One option that's used is to have a licensed dummy account for administration. Like CompanySmartsheetAdmin@something.com and make that account the owner of WorkApps and data shuttle workflows etc.. A lot of the premium apps don't have a way to share between multiple accounts. So I end up setting up what I need on my account and once they are working as expected I transfer them to our dummy account for longevity.

Otherwise, when your account gets deactivated - there should be an option to transfer all your owned stuff to someone else.

Here is some info on it. Revoke access, deactivate, or remove a user from your account | Smartsheet Learning Center

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Answer ✓

One option that's used is to have a licensed dummy account for administration. Like CompanySmartsheetAdmin@something.com and make that account the owner of WorkApps and data shuttle workflows etc.. A lot of the premium apps don't have a way to share between multiple accounts. So I end up setting up what I need on my account and once they are working as expected I transfer them to our dummy account for longevity.

Otherwise, when your account gets deactivated - there should be an option to transfer all your owned stuff to someone else.

Here is some info on it. Revoke access, deactivate, or remove a user from your account | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Matthewrh
    Matthewrh ✭✭✭

Okay that makes sense, as long as there is a way for it to be transferred without loss of data or workflows that's good.

I will also explore the "service account" setup to see if that's something that our team can do, because it's all linked with single sign-on and AD users with multi-factor authentication the domain admins may not be able to achieve that.

Thank you for the information

• Samuel Mueller

@Matthewrh our dummy account uses the regular smartsheet login, does not go through our domain - it's the only account that can do this. You may have different restrictions though.

I do think I read that "Automations" do not transfer, so you may have some different issues there. Kind of frustrating actually but I think it talks about it in the link I sent.

• Matthewrh
    Matthewrh ✭✭✭

Yeah I see that as well, it would be nice to have an "export" and "import" function that way you could backup workflows locally and import them if needed as an additional backup, I will need to talk with our smartsheet admin and see what we can do to address the concerns, if they can give us a "local" smartsheet account with the right licences that might work but the MFA and stuff might be an issue

• Hi @Matthewrh,

If you haven't upvoted the Product Feedback post about Data Shuttle sharing, this would be a good one to put your vote on! You might look through and see if any of your other asks fall under existing requests and, if they don't, feel free to post some new requests in Product Feedback & Ideas.

Best,

Danielle W.

Product Marketing

Smartsheet

Danielle W.

Product Marketing

Smartsheet