Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

My Smartsheet Contacts vs Group Management

Options
Richard Adams
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

In using the Assigned To column, I found that several Contacts did not have their First and Last name fields populated.  So, I went into My Smartsheet Contacts and updated all of my Contact items so that all have their First and Last name fields set.  I then saved the sheet, closed it, reopened it and went back to the Assigned To column.  I once again found the entries *without* their First and Last name fields populated!  In evaluating the issue, it seemed to me that the Assigned To list was being populated from the list of persons I had shared the sheet with, not from My Smartsheet Contacts as I initially assumed.  I am sharing the sheet via a group, so I went into Group Management and found the Contacts were missing their First and Last name values!

My question then is how to manage the Contact items in a Group?  My assumption was that when I updated the Contact items in My Smartsheet Contacts, that the Group would have pulled from that to update those Contacts also.  However, it appears that each Group is using a wholy separate list of Contact items stored independently from My Smartsheet Contacts.  The only option I see is to remove each entry and readd them.  However, that will span unwanted emails to those persons.  How can I work around this?

Screenshot of My Smartsheet Contacts showing the fully populated Contact item:

snap203.png

snap204.png

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Good question, Richard! Your Smartsheet contacts are specific to you. You can add any name you want to any email address. However, functionality that is associated with a users Smartsheet account (such as groups, user management, etc) pulls in the name and email address from their Smartsheet account (not your Contacts). The reason why you do not see a name for Bryan is because they have not set a name for their account. 

Ask Bryan to set a name for his account by going to Account > Personal Settings > Profile to set a name for his account. A SysAdmin for your account (Team/Enterprise only) can set a name for him by going to Account > Account Admin > right click on his name > Edit User. 

This discussion has been closed.