[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Options

Comments

• SwapnilS
    Options

This is Swapnil. I work for a Biotech company.

One of the most valuable courses I took in my Operations and Project Management curriculum was the Integrated Project Delivery class. What made this course stand out was its strong emphasis on practical application and real-world case studies, which complemented the theoretical concepts we covered.

The professor, who had extensive industry experience, structured the class around a semester-long team project where we had to plan and manage the development of a new product from start to finish. This hands-on approach allowed us to directly apply the project management tools and techniques we were learning, such as scope definition, scheduling, risk analysis, and stakeholder management.

Throughout the project, we were presented with various challenges and constraints that mirrored actual business scenarios. This forced us to think critically, make tough decisions, and navigate the complexities of cross-functional collaboration - skills that are essential for effective project managers.

Overall it did not feel like we were taking a course but more like an actual work simulation.

Swapnil Shah

Associate Director of Project Management

DermBiont, Inc.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/swapnilsha/

• Melody McCrea
    Options

One of my recent favorites was a Critical Thinking course by EDAINC. Prep included an assignment designed to identify actual scenarios which were used for application exercises during class, and an assessment of critical thinking skills. During class we reviewed our individual evaluations, which included scoring against peer groups (i.e. executive, manager, independent contributors, descriptions of our areas of strengths & opportunities, and steps to think through actions for skill development. The two day course included real world scenarios and group exercises using several easy to understand tools which were provided for our continued use. The practical application made it a valuable experience.

I also greatly appreciated the quality of training provided in the Smartsheet University Core App Path. Truly engaging and effective e-Learning is not as common as it should be. I've seen what it takes "behind the scenes" to put together a high quality learning experience, and it's clear Smartsheet has intentionally invested in this. I've never come out of an asynchronous e-Learning experience feeling as well equipped!

• taylor.swope
    Options

The best learning experience I've ever been part of was during my senior year in college. I took a semester long sociology course as part of the Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program (https://www.insideoutcenter.org/index.html).

I loved this course for the unique learning opportunity it offered. I graduated 15 years ago and still think about this course often.

• One of my favorite courses I took was during my MS on Project Engineering where we had to design and manufacture an autonomous fetching device for a dog. It was very interesting to assign a group of engineers different roles and see the project materialize into a functional device. Very fulfilling.

• Mia Walker
    Options

I haven't been able to take any course, I am self-taught from what I can find on YouTube. I would love to promote Smart Sheets to the rest of my company. I have been able use Smart sheets to easily collect data and manage lots of requests while also being able to provide data driven root cause analysis reviews. Utilizing this free course would really aid in me in doing that.

• LRA19087
    Options

Firstly, I LOVE Smartsheet! Thank you.

My favorite course would be 8th Grade English. The curriculum for the entire year was 'diagramming sentences'. This one class has allowed me to properly and systematically compose all types of documents. It was logical and straightforward. Every sentence has a proper structure which ensures your syntax is clear. If you cannot diagram a sentence, it is not properly composed. This philosophy has endured throughout my career and can be applied to coding.

• RebSchr
    RebSchr ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One of my favorite courses I have taken was one that was presented by my previous employer. It was called "Fierce Conversations" and was taken as part of my leadership course. The thing that stuck with me, and to this day, I still think about, was a quote in the book.

“Our work, our relationships, and our lives succeed or fail one conversation at a time. While no single conversation is guaranteed to transform a company, a relationship, or a life, any single conversation can. Speak and listen as if this is the most important conversation you will ever have with this person. It could be. Participate as if it matters. It does.”

— Susan Scott

Everyday, I think about the conversation - they can die suddenly, rapidly, one conversation at a time. Every conversation is important, no matter how insignificant you think it is.

Rebekah

• megan_do
    Options

Hello!!

I have taken lots of training courses over my life, but one of the most impactful ones I've taken was actually not job-related at all. I joined an outdoors course on native plants & invasive species removal, and it was filled with so much knowledge, interactive learning, and tangible things that I could do to help our forests. I have really enjoyed the course and it has inspired me to teach others what I have learned as well and spread the knowledge!

• During my undergraduate years, I enrolled in the Urban Mobility and Public Transportation course. The title itself lacked flair, but it promised practical insights into the intricate web of city movement, infrastructure, and community well-being. No charismatic professor led the class; instead, we navigated the subject matter through a blend of theory, field visits, and group projects.

The curriculum dissected urban transit systems—their evolution, challenges, and impact on daily life. We studied subway networks, bus routes, and pedestrian-friendly zones. But it wasn’t the glossy maps or theoretical models that left an impression; it was the gritty reality of transit hubs—their smells, sounds, and inefficiencies.

Our guest speakers were unsung heroes—transit planners, engineers, and activists. They shared stories of overcrowded buses, delayed trains, and the delicate balance between efficiency and equity. Maria, a visually impaired commuter, described navigating subway stations by touch—a humbling lesson in accessibility.

Our final project was a microcosm of urban activism. We chose an overlooked bus route—the forgotten lifeline for a marginalized neighborhood. Armed with data, we proposed improvements: shelters, real-time tracking, and community engagement. Our presentation to city officials lacked fanfare, but the mayor’s nod signaled progress.

This seemingly mundane course didn’t alter my career trajectory, but it sparked a quiet revolution within me. I became an advocate for public transportation—its flaws and potential. As I stepped onto crowded platforms, I saw not just commuters but stories of resilience, frustration, and hope. Urban mobility ceased to be an abstract concept; it became a tapestry of lives intersecting at transit stops.

• Deb Cutler
    Options

I have a library science degree and the coursework focused on how to organize information along with discovering the true needs of those around you. Sadly, working as librarian did not work out for me, but those skills have been an asset in every aspect of my life.

Need research done? Ask Deb. Need something organized? Ask Deb. Not sure what you need? Ask Deb and she will help you think it through.

The most important thing I ever learned in school was righty tighty lefty loosy. It is a mind blowing simple way to remember how to tighten and loosen things.

• lmaciel
    Options

One of my favorite courses would have been back in High School was Greek Literature, the teacher made it narrative was very intense.

• abechuate
    Options

I am someone who is very passionate about learning and have taken numerous courses that have been amazing. This makes it quite difficult for me to pick a favorite one. However, if I had to choose, I would say that one of the most memorable courses I took was "Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome" offered by the University of Colorado on Coursera. As a healthcare professional, this topic resonated with my professional interests, but I would recommend it to anyone who is concerned about leading a healthy life. The course is informative and enlightening.

Andre Bechuate

• Kirstie Andino
    edited 04/10/24
    Options

Years ago I took a leadership course that helped me to think about things in different ways. The course was in person on a Saturday which was odd, but I'm glad I did it. The material and instructor were great and helped me to add various new skills to my tool set. The value I gained from that course has helped me throughout my career.

• TR Ross
    Options

Favorite course was an old compupter course where you had a decent breakdown of the information, a walkthrough project that you followed along with, and then another project to do in the class.

• JM2863
    Options

I love to take classes to learn new skills and challenge myself both in my work and personal life. My most recent class I valued was taking a Taiko drumming class with my daughter. It was out of my normal comfort zone but so glad I did it.

This discussion has been closed.