[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Comments

• SMacey
    SMacey ✭✭✭✭

Hello SS Community! Mine is a bit different - it was my initial exposure to a training course that I would then go on to facilitate and lead the same training course for others across the globe; front desk upselling. It was so memorable because while, yes, it was about increasing revenue for the hotel - it really made a mark on me because it also focused on understanding the customer's needs and tailoring the entire check-in experience to each guest (even if they were not someone who would be interested in a larger room) and also because there was an incentive program for the front desk staff, so it gave them the autonomy to generate additional income for themselves.

After attending the training and being so impressed, then learning and becoming a trainer myself, it led to some of the most rewarding experiences in my career - the most touching being a single mother who hugged me crying because the skills I was able to teach her and the inventive she was able to earn allowed her to quit her 2nd job to spend more time with her daughter.

• The ultimate course that I attended that left an unwavering impression was the "Sales Advantage" course offered by Dale Carnegie. This course, gave me the tools I needed to directly connect with a customer from the first handshake to closing the sale. 20 years after I took this course I still utilize the tools in my career and within my personal life. At one time I was so fearful of public speaking because I was so nervous about the way I presented myself. Now, I have no fear of public speaking and I can easily navigate through the most difficult conversations. Lastly, this course, even helped me in my Law Enforcement career by knowing how to deescalate situations through verbal conversation and physical gestures (such as moving your arms in a particular way while speaking).

• French class in high school. I met my future husband in this class and had the opportunity to put my skills to use in Paris, France...specifically when I was asking for directions and ordering food🥐! It was an incredibly memorable experience and now I have a husband and 3 children, all thanks to that class. We continued taking French in college together as well and can share our love for the language with our children ❤️

• Cristina W
    Cristina W ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite classes I took when I was in College was a multimedia course. This course was the introduction of making objects interactive in a web page. I had the best experience because it allowed me to use my creativity and I learned so many great things that help me through my IT career.

• Brooke Y
    Brooke Y ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/10/24

One of my favorite courses I've taken is Smartsheet Control Center for Program Users (Project Creators) in SmartsheetUniversity. The walk throughs in this course allowed me to see how complex a Control Center can be, but also, how easy it is to build when you break it down into it's components. I have since built many control centers for my organization and taught others how to build and maintain them.

• Tim Morgan
    Tim Morgan ✭✭✭

Hands down the best course I ever took was a World War II class taught by my high school history teacher, Mr. Livingstone.

This topic was a passion for my teacher. A true history buff, he loved the stories of World War II. So much so that he made it his mission to capture as many of the first-hand accounts as possible from the people who lived them.

He met and befriended many veterans during his own studies. Every Friday he invited a guest speaker to come to our class to share their experiences.

So during the week, we would examine the differences between American and European heavy armored vehicles. Talk about the introduction of oceanic aerial warfare in the Pacific. And learn about the blitz strategy that overwhelmed Western Europe.

Then on Fridays, we could look forward to hearing a first-hand account from individuals like a paratrooper from the 82'nd Airborne Division. The story of how a midshipman spent days stranded in shark-infested waters of his sunken aircraft carrier. And the mental fortitude it took for a marine to survive a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.

It's the kind of learning experience that will stick with me for the rest of my days.

• One of my more favorite courses I've taken since collage with the LSAT Prep course through khan Academy. It was easy to set up and follow and to stay engaged while studying. I liked that it was self guided but having an actual instructor could have made it that much better, however you can't complain too much for a free resource.

• Long-time user but very busy with project. Would love to know more about the functionality and utilization of the product and spread that info throughout our organization.

• Nick055
    Nick055 ✭✭

My favorite course was a networking class (even though I dislike networking with a passion). I think the reason I'd call it my favorite is because he made a subject I disliked so interesting that I learned a lot and looked forward to the class. The professor was a genius at it & had a ton of passion. The real world scenarios have stuck with me even years after college even though I wasn't very good at it.

The assignment I remember the most from that course was in security, we had to find a local café & see the vulnerabilities they had (like actually going to the café with our network tools). It was eye opening what people could easily access if your business' security was weak.

• My favorite course at the Onboarding Training at RGP. It provided a comprehensive package of online courses, live sessions, engaging talks from the leadership board, and interactive activities, all in perfect balance.

• Tina Ciak
    Tina Ciak ✭✭✭✭✭

Throughout my educational and professional journey, I've discovered that in-person training and learning environments have never quite resonated with me. While many thrive in face-to-face interactions, I've consistently found myself more comfortable and productive when learning on my own or engaging in virtual platforms. There's something about the autonomy and flexibility of self-directed learning that allows me to absorb information more effectively. Virtual learning environments, in particular, provide the perfect blend of structure and independence that cater to my learning style. Interestingly, my affinity for virtual learning extends beyond just educational settings; it also applies to practical tools like Smartsheet, which I adore for its intuitive design and ease of learning. Its user-friendly interface mirrors my preferred learning approach, making it effortless for me to grasp and utilize its features effectively.

• Doris Pulliam, my high school English teacher in 11th and 12th grades, was far and away the best teacher I ever had, and I've had some good ones. With a very light touch, she guided us through challenging literature, Russian lit like War and Peace and the Brothers Karamozov, and existentialists like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche. I've never read at higher level since.  

• I've done a lot of training and education from Novell Certifications to a Masters Degree and I have to say that my favorite training and certification path was the Certified Personal Trainer from the American Council on Exercise (ACE). As a long time weight lifter and gym rat I really enjoyed obtaining the certification and now being comfortable helping others with their fitness. It's a big change from my day job in Information Technology.

• bourgeoj
    bourgeoj ✭✭✭

My favourite course is unforgettable though it began when I was only 13 years old. I begged my parents to allow me to attend with my cousins and friends. The final test was a fine dining experience and to this day I recall this course whenever I eat my soup "the proper way".

It was an etiquette course and in case you're wondering, the spoon is held flat and sunk down against the farthest side of the bowl then gently scraped along the edge to remove any drips. lol. I don't know how "proper" that is, but it works for me.😂

• When I worked for a different state agency, there was an educational program available to all employees that allowed them to browse and sign up for different computer classes. Though I was already the best in my department at using Excel, I convinced my manager that we would benefit from the use of pivot tables, and I was able to register for the pivot table training class. The half day that I spend learning how to use pivot tables was extremely in depth and overwhelmed me, but I came away from it with a fundamental understanding and a veritable digital stack of exercises and files from the class. On my own time, I was able to go through the materials provided and develop some real skills with combining pivot tables, formulas, and sheet linking. This was a huge help professionally as I went on to be a software tester and software trainer myself. I learned a lot from that professional class about being a better teacher. I learned to give students not only an in-class education, but also the tools and references needed to further their education outside of the class when the exact memories and exercises of the day are gone and forgotten.

The skills I learned from that class (and not just pivot tables) are why I can help my current agency with administrating our Smartsheet program that will be launching later this year.

This discussion has been closed.