[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Options

Comments

• Minni
    Minni ✭✭✭
    Options

Describe a favorite course you took and what made it great. (Could be a course from SmartU, a different professional development course, or a class from your youth).

This is an easy one for me, I work in construction and brought Smartsheets to my division in my company as a way to track projects. By far, the best one I have taken is the "Smartsheets Project Management" classes as well as the "Smartsheets Formula Training" both of these have increased my divisions ability to track projects efficiently and in a timely manner.

Minni Florence

Senior Project Coordinator

Industrial Properties Construction

• ccousineau
    Options

Definitely the Intro to Forensic Science course I took in 2016 at my university! Such fascinating material and the professors passion about the work made the experience even more enjoyable!

• Tim Schmidt
    Options

My favorite course in college was Chinese. As a lifelong language learner and student of foreign culture, it was an eye-opening experience to "lift the veil" of "Hanzi" (Chinese traditional characters), learn the order of pen/brush strokes used to write them and learn to hear the difference between the 4 spoken tones. My instructor was very inspiring. As a Canadian native, he was inspired to study Chinese by his experience in Toronto's China Town at a young age. Today, he reads and writes at an advanced level and regularly travels to China and interacts with the local Chinese community.

• Ferdnando Calogero
    Options

My favorite course was E-Commerce, a class from my masters degree. I learned how to take an existing business from brick and mortar to selling online. In practicum, I built a business plan for a local comic shop that would equip them to build another income stream.

• Luis Rosa
    Options

As a Performance Manager, I've always sought out opportunities to refine my skills and bring innovative solutions to my team. My journey with the IFMA FMP certification was a transformative experience that not only deepened my understanding of facility management but also equipped me with the tools to drive strategic services.

The IFMA FMP certification course was comprehensive, covering core FM topics and valuable soft skills that are crucial in today's fast-paced work environment. The knowledge gained from this certification has been instrumental in my role, allowing me to manage our facilities with a keen eye for sustainability, resilience, and responsible environmental stewardship. But the learning didn't stop there. I leveraged Smartsheet, a dynamic work collaboration tool, to bring a new level of efficiency and organization to our daily operations. Smartsheet's real-time collaboration features and automated workflows have been a game-changer, enabling us to manage performance more effectively and make data-driven decisions. The transition from traditional tools like Excel to Smartsheet was seamless, thanks to its intuitive design and powerful capabilities. It allowed me to create a centralized hub for numerous project files and data, automate routine tasks, and build custom dashboards to monitor key performance indicators. This journey has been about more than just personal growth; it's about bringing value to my team and contributing to our collective success. The IFMA FMP certification and Smartsheet have been pivotal in my professional development, and I'm excited to continue exploring the possibilities they unlock for our future endeavors.

• hiltonkeith
    Options

I have been an Instructional Designer and PM in Learning Departments for my whole career (and I'm not saying how many decades that has been!). I've seen and created a LOT of training. One of the best courses I ever took was Creativity Boot Camp, a LinkedIn Learning offering about unlocking imagination. You broke away from it for 5 creativity exercises. You could do them with a partner, group, or if it was a typical self-paced (for me, it was) session, you did them on your own. The leader made this online course work beautifully for a single session or to spread it out over multiple days by breaking it into chapters. When you returned from working on your exercise separately (something I rarely do with eLearning; I prefer to pretend I really did it), you heard how other people had imagined solutions, and that unlocked even more creativity. It is well-designed and engaging, and it worked!

• amandacox
    Options

My organization offers a 3 day Excel course every year and I was lucky enough to be included a few years ago. I really enjoy working in Excel so the course was a favorite for sure!

• Rob Mense
    Options

My most memorable business course I had was a course in Negotiating Skills. I've always found negotiating as an interesting challenge. I have used my negotiating skills both in my professional career as well as outside of work. These skills allow me to analyze a person's personality. I have used these skills to negotiate costs of projects with our contractors that I, in turn, use to keep track of using Smartsheet. I have also used these same skills to purchase vehicles, services and even my house!

• smdinhphan
    Options

My favorite course was a Python course for my degree. I like being able to create functional applications and see them in action.

• Melissa Bosi
    Melissa Bosi ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Many years ago, I took a Time Management Course from Franklin Covey. Technology was exploding at the time and they were starting to adapt new tech into their series. Yes, Franklin Covey sells the old school planners. But one of the most important things I learned was to quit managing from my "Inbox". Get it out, prioritize everything you need to do everyday. They taught an A-B-C method that I used for quite a while. But the one aspect of the training that was most impactful was a very dated (from the 80's) video they showed during the training led by Stephen Covey. It was all about big and little rocks - putting things that are important to you first. If you have never watched it, you should check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyL93MlR_I0

• Dheeraj Goyal
    Options

I loved the Power BI course on LinkedIn Learning. It was straight to the point and relevant to real world use.

• Anna Echols
    Options

I took the Google Project Management Professional course last year in 2023 and greatly benefited from the training. I loved that it was so interactive and real world minded while giving a solid foundation in project management methodologies. As a visual learner I appreciated the transcripts with the videos as well. I saved all of the tool templates and have used several already in my work.

• CAS the CSA
    CAS the CSA ✭✭
    edited 04/10/24
    Options

While I like that SmartU exists I often find better answers (mostly workarounds) from the Community. I like that it's full of folks who have hit these hurdles before and offer insight into the ways they've devised to get around them.

• Robert Urbach
    Options

Probably the best training I've ever taken was very early in my management career when I had the opportunity to attend a Fish! Philosophy course with the company I was working for at the time. Other trainings and certifications over the years have taught me technical and leadership skills, but nothing has had the lasting impact that Fish! has. Applicable to every industry and every role, I have integrated these concepts everywhere I've worked since then. The benefits to team morale, positive organizational culture, and just making your work fun cannot be understated. 😊

• JHickey
    JHickey ✭✭
    Options

When I became a new manager, I took a course through my employer that let me connect with various leaders at the organization of various levels of experience. We met for classes and then worked on a project together. I thought that I would be more an observer when it came to the project because I was so new but due to a variety of challenges, I became one of the two key drivers to complete our project. It was a great experience!

This discussion has been closed.