[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Comments

• My favorite course was a course I took back in the mid-90s. It was an intro to sociology and the course was extremely interactive and the instructor was very insightful - and funny. Not only did I learn a lot, but he definitely kept my attention 🙂!

• Colemcgu
    Colemcgu ✭✭✭

Just last week I went to the Glass Craft and Bead Expo in Vegas. It was 4 days of classes 8-5 on a variety of areas and medium. I am a hobbyist lampworker. I usually work in borosilicate glass. Boro is essentially pyrex. Takes lots of heat and slow to move. I took a class using soda lime glass also known as soft glass. (think glassware). This glass takes a lot less heat to move. The class I was taking was making hummingbirds with soft glass. For the most of the morning my work was crap. But I persisted, used a much gentler flame and made some pretty incredible iridescent hummingbirds. I didn't give up, shifted my skill set and had an instructor that took my current skills and helped me bend them to make them fit.

• My favorite class was a course in journalism from the WSU Murrow school on how to write for news. The focus was on how you put key details and facts first, followed by less-important details and then leaving off non-important information.

The course was brutal and every submittal came back with red marks all over it. But, the methodology is something I'll never forget. The more I write in business communication the more I realize how those principles can be used in many other disciplines. Writing efficiently is a useful skill to save everyone time.

• Any course where the material is explained, then applied to real-life, meaningful scenarios and time is given to practice what is learned.

• My most valuable course in high school was Auto CAD. Although I was the only female in the class, it set up my career path and led me to where I am today.

• My favorite course was actually a YouTube course on Unreal Engine. I was a game developer for ten years prior to moving into software consulting and management. So, picking a bit of game dev back up as a hobby, I needed something that moved fast enough that I wasn't bogged down in the basics but still started from scratch. That's a gap a lot of training misses. You may have a complete beginner or advanced course, but neither fits someone trying to jump back in with a refresher on what's new.

#SmartsheetSuperstar

• I enjoyed a course in Jetbrains academy about Python which had me hone my programming skills further to utilize alongside smartsheet.

• A Leading Better Meetings course provided by my employer. It provided practical and useful tips that I was able to put into practice immediately and they didn't make assumptions about how much you likely knew already - they started with the basics. Simple things, that seem obvious in hindsight but aren't standard practice in my field, such as being mindful of the type of meeting (e.g. brainstorming vs decision-making), setting agendas, giving folks pre-work so they come prepared, etc. It's changed how many of our meetings are handled (the ones I can influence or control, anyway), making them shorter and letting folks get back to their "real work".

• My name is Sudhesh and I live in India. I Head Organizational Development for Savista Global Solutions Pvt. Ltd. My favourite course has been the Diploma in Computer Applications I attended with National Institute of Information Technology in Chennai, India while in college. I liked this course because it created the curiosity in me on what a computer can do and inducted me into a generation that cannot live and work without a digital device. Also, interestingly the SQL course taught me the importance of right queries to get the required data. Overall the course has helped me become computer literate and more.

• My favorite course was the RCArt Conscious Reliability Certification. It really made me question my thought process and what biases may be lurking within my brain. It helped me improved my problem solving skills and has benefited my life. I am now a better worker and a better person! I would highly recommend it.

• During my undergrad, my favorite course was called Health, Healing, and Disease. It was a course about how people from the past viewed health and how they treated different types of illnesses and why they viewed/thought this type of healing would work. The course started back in ancient Mesopotamian times and we ended during the 1800's when alchemy was a popular choice for healing. Personally, I have 0 interest in pursuing the medical field, but this class was so intriguing to me. I thought it was cool that people in England during the 1800's were against surgery as it would prevent them from gaining access to Heaven in the afterlife, or how willow bark was often consumed because it acts as aspirin, or how the Black Plague was seen as punishment from God because of provocative women and cross-dressing men.

• I love to play with data, analyze the same with an out of box thinking and come up with a story which helps in solving the problem, had a great opportunity to learn Statistical Process Control by Dr. Wheeler and this still reamins one of my favourite.

• I was previously a certified fraud examiner ("CFE") and worked for the state government. I had to take continuing ed courses to keep up my CFE certification. I've taken courses on handwriting analysis, body language, and open source investigating (which basically means cyber stalking my subject). All the courses were fascinating! Sometimes I miss that old career.

• I think my favorite course I've taken was a beginners programming course in college. I didn't end up going into the programming field but it was very satisfying learning how to make programs and seeing them come to life.

• Early in life - maybe age 9 - my mom enrolled me at a community college to learn about entrepreneurship. I think a lot about that decision. She saw in me something that only an engaged parent could - the desire to do more and be more than "just" a worker-bee. She is deceased but I wish I could ask her about that. As an adult - the desire to "consult" was always at the forefront of my decisions when considering employment. I wanted to work with companies that empowered independent thinkers, and encouraged people to create or embellish creative solutions. I know that my mom gave me this as a gift - even though at times I have confounded employers who didn't understand why I couldn't just "paint inside the lines". I can tell you - as a Smartsheet enthusiast at every position I have had - this thinking outside the lines has allowed me to advocate for the use of Smartsheet, the reporting, dashboarding and more, to provide insights in an automated and collaborative way. I am thankful to my mom, and to tools like Smartsheet which always help me to be more enlightened and "always on".

This discussion has been closed.