What view are you? Share your story and claim your badge

Rebeca S.
Rebeca S. Employee
edited 08/07/24 in General Announcements

Hello Smartsheet Community,

We love reading stories about the meaningful change you’re driving at work. 

Everyone has their own way of managing work, right? That's why we've ensured you always have a Smartsheet view that fits your needs.  We want to hear how you are using Smartsheet and how it may change depending on the project, who's involved, or your personal preference. 

Tell us, which view are you? 

Leave a comment below sharing which view(s) you use most often and why. We will award the badge(s) that align with your preferred view(s) to showcase on your profile soon after.

Whether you choose:

Timeline view to get the big picture and manage the details all in one place

Board view with it’s visual layout that lets you easily track the status and progress of project on a Kanban board

Grid view where you can manage detailed data in a familiar spreadsheet interface

Gantt view for clear project timelines

Calendar view to see your information laid out on a working calendar

Or a unique combination of views to gain actionable insights tailored to your needs — we want to know.

More about Smartsheet views: 

• NEW Timeline view: Timeline view empowers teams to visualize and manage date-based work in real time. By visualizing tasks along a timeline and grouping information to easily track project components, teams can instantly get the big picture and adjust details with ease.  With Timeline view, you can visualize project timelines, group items by theme, edit in context, react to changes in real-time, and more.

• NEW Board view: Board view allows users to track projects, manage tasks, and prioritize work on a visual Kanban board. It features an all-new, modern look and feel, and key new functionality to make working on a board faster, easier, and more collaborative than ever. Board view facilitates collaboration by displaying changes made by other users in real time (including newly added or deleted cards and any updates to card titles or their fields.)

• Grid View: Grid view with its familiar spreadsheet-like interface, is particularly useful for users who are accustomed to working with spreadsheets but require more advanced project management functionalities. Its versatility makes it suitable for a wide range of applications, from simple task tracking to complex project management.

• Gantt View: Gantt view is a dynamic tool designed for visual project management and timeline tracking. It transforms your project details into a comprehensive, easy-to-read Gantt chart – essentially a horizontal bar chart that displays a project schedule. It’s great for understanding task relationships and managing dependencies.

• Calendar View: Calendar view takes your date based tasks and lays them out across a calendar. This view offers a time-based perspective on tasks and projects and  is ideal for managing schedules and deliverables at a high level.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Comments

• eliweitz
    eliweitz ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge fan of grid view (and a bit of board view as well!) Grid view is used all over my work, and it provides a useful matrix for organizing data and information. Board view, on the other hand, provides some useful kanban-ing toolsets, which I hope to use more in organizing tasks in the future!

• Zachary Ziegler
    Zachary Ziegler ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer Gantt view, as having the visual overlap of tasks helps to reduce overallocation of resources that might be on two concurrent tasks. I usually start on Grid view though when I am just setting things up for the first time. Whenever tasks inevitably have to be rescheduled, viewing in Gantt helps me see any complications before they arise though so therefore I am Gantt view :)

• Leroy Noriega
    Leroy Noriega ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use Grid, Gantt, and Calendar view. In the Grid view I add in as much information as I possibly can to the project plans, Budget sheets, PO sheets, etc. with multiple helper columns to make reporting/metrics easier to capture. Gantt view is used along side the project plan, provides a nice visual to all the project managers. Calendar view is used in our dashboard to provide a simplistic view of when the project managers are traveling/testing their projects. The combination of these three views has significantly improved our process🙌

• Isis Taylor
    Isis Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/30/24

I use Grid, Timeline, and Gantt views most often. Grid view for the majority of custom sheets that I create, and Gantt & Timeline for any project that I am managing. I also like to use Gantt view on project and portfolio dashboards.

I can't wait to try Board view.

Isis Taylor

Business Analyst Senior

• Love me a grid view but find Gantt better for seeing predecessors!

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use Grid view for a large majority of my projects. and calendar view for a close second.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Largely grid view for myself, due to need for formulas in various columns.

• Erin Horiuchi Green
    Erin Horiuchi Green ✭✭✭✭✭

They are ALL my favorite depending on what Projects I am multi-tasking at the time. Can I get ALL the badges?

Timeline View
    is best for monitoring the Adult Learning Project requests across my Instructional Designers at the aggregated level.

Board View is best for monitoring Sprints with the DEV team.

Grid View is best for monitoring Pilot Tester Test Scripts for UAT prior to Production Release.

Gannt View is best for monitoring the Adult Learning Project requests across my Instructional Designers at the individual level.

Calendar View is best for monitoring OOOs and Scope Creep. Time is money and value perception is sensitive per Stakeholder.

• Julia L Rumburg
    Julia L Rumburg ✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/31/24

🎉While I appreciate the versatility of all the views Smartsheet offers, Card View is my happy place!😍 I love how it allows me to focus on one task 📝at a time, while still seeing the bigger picture🌍. This means that I 😍 the new Board View - drag and drop is cool to me as I finish up each task!

• Matt Lynn-PCG
    Matt Lynn-PCG ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/31/24

Grid view… formulas make all other Smartsheet features my servant, including all the other views.

Certified Platinum Partner

2023 Partner of the Year

PrimeConsulting.com

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to get better at using all the views - mostly I use Grid views. I have started looking at Timeline View and find it helpful for looking at the big picture of things. We use Gantt  for some of our project plans if we need to get granular. I have used the Calendar View for our Team OOO. I’m looking at possible uses for Board View as well - it is newer.