What view are you? Share your story and claim your badge

Comments

• Mary Beth B.
    Mary Beth B. ✭✭✭✭

I guess you could say that I am your basic Grid View Gal! We find that Smartsheet is better than Excel for most things and has more or a reach. I usually use grid because I build a lot of forms. I am trying to dabble in other views and would probably gravitate to Card or maybe board view. I need to learn to broaden my horizons.

• TerriS
    TerriS ✭✭✭

I love to use Grid view for my day-to-day work, but I also set up a board view to show when sharing progress with the team.

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am a Grid View and Calendar view since I am our Smartsheet Solutions designer. I tend to manage my Solution request using the grid view then the calendar view when I prioritize and schedule. I keep all my on going solutions in a personal dashboard with the calendar displayed so I can quickly view what I have coming up.

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Michelle Basson
    Michelle Basson Overachievers Alumni

This is a difficult one, because I love and use all of them, based on the use case.

Grid and Gantt view I use most often, utilizing the power of all the filters and sorting to show me exactly what I need.

Calendar View is my go-to for any event and training planning, as the calendar visual makes it a lot easier to plan and see number of events or training happening in a week or month.

The new board view… I LOVE IT. I've been using in in EAP, and this works amazing for ticket management.

Timeline view is my go-to when discussing projects with management. It looks super sleek and impressive.

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Michelle Basson

Smartsheet Overachiever Alumni | Solution Consultant | Lover of everything Smartsheet

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-basson/

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER
    www.projectplanservices.co.uk

• Protonsponge
    Protonsponge ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/01/24

I think there is a place for all of these views:

If Smartsheet was a car; McLaren of course… Grid View would be the engine, infinitely tuneable to your preferred driving style. The Board View would be the car's dashboard, offering a clear and visual overview of the journey ahead. The Gantt Chart would act as the transmission, allowing for smooth coordination and timing of tasks, while the Timeline serves as the navigation system, plotting out the route ahead. The Calendar View would be the car's schedule, ensuring timely arrival at each destination.

Timeline View – We have a default template for multi-year projects and the new timeline view has been great for showing how each of the 180 tasks will feed into the overall project completion over a 5+ year timeline - I think this view is fantastic and am excited to see it used more!

Board View - We been using the new board view to separate out the tasks by function/swim lane such that each department knows the deliverables relevant to them, we are still learning the capability of this view but see a lot of potential.

Gantt View – I like this view for seeing how everything lines up on complex projects. The detail, the progress bars, critical path and easy adjustment are all such brilliant features!

Grid View – If you had to pick just one view for the rest of your Smartsheet life… it would surely be the grid view.

• Sam C
    Sam C ✭✭✭✭

Grid-view all the way. I'll switch to the other views every so often when managing projects, but grid-view is my home.☺️

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a Developer, I would say ALL views, as I have to make sure all data is properly validated on something I build. This is especially important on sheets with heavy formula and/or automation content. The QA process on a new project is critical. But if you won't let me choose ALL of the Above, and are making me select only 1, then I would say Grid View. I view the data, formulas, conditional formatting and validate from there. If I am working on something and my boss "pops in", she will often as about all the crazy colors within the "body" of the sheet. This is a way I can tell myself, what has been validated and is correct, and what is incorrect, and what I need to research and determine how to get the answers I need (update formulas). So if you come peek at a project I am in the middle of development on, it may just look like as box of crayons exploded!!! Now that may sound funny, But it is true!

Sherry Fox

Business Analyst | Information Technology

Del-Air Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• meagans
    meagans ✭✭✭✭

While I appreciate the versatility of the different views, Grid View is my ride or die!

Meagan Struman ⚡️

• mcullen
    mcullen ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm definitely a fan of grid view, but I have to admit, I haven't done well at experimenting with others. I love reading the comments in this thread and learning about advantages of when and how to utilize other views!

Michelle Cullen

• Tina Ciak
    Tina Ciak ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Grid view the most, however, I live and die by my calendar, so that's a very close 2nd.

• A.J.
    A.J. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, grid view. It was love at first click. No need for fancy or shiny, it's a tried and true classic!

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Gantt and Timeline views are super useful in specific scenarios, but I prefer Grid view (Old Faithful) the majority of the time.

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭

Timeline view is my go-to!

It gives me the big picture and helps me manage details all in one place.

Huma

Community Leader

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost entirely Grid View, with the odd Gantt thrown in where appropriate. Grid View is the only one versatile enough to both do what I want and look good doing it. They're also the most concise and easily parsable of the views, even if they can get too information dense to take in at a glance. No matter how many bells and whistles get added to the other views, Grid View is still the foundation of Smartsheet and remains unrivaled in its potential.

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭

I use all of them depending on what the need is. I have to say we use Grid View the most because most of the users need to see the specifics and make entries in specific fields in order to trigger our automation processes.