Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Convert Text to Number?

Options
David Bright
David Bright ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is there a way in a Smartsheet column to convert a Text value into a Numeric value?

For example, I have a column called "Duration", formatted as a "Text/Number" column type, and I have values in that column that are in the HH:MM:SS format, and look something like this: 00:15:00, 01:20:00, etc.

I'm trying to add a few of these together to calculate the "Total Duration", but there is not a simple way to do this in Smartsheet, so I am attempting to "dissassemble" each cell into parts, then add the parts together, and then "combine" the parts into the HH:MM:SS format.

So far I have been able to "dissassemble" the cell values into three new columns by using the LEFT(), MID(), and RIGHT() functions. This works, but when I do that the resulting cells contain text values not numerical values - which means that the SUM() function does not work.

Any ideas on how to convert the "deconstructed" cells into numerical values?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

David

Comments

This discussion has been closed.