Automatically add emails into smartsheet

RCJ
RCJ
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is it possible for an email to automatically be added into a smartsheet?  Just like a form entry gets added,  can someone send an email to a particular email address that is automatically added to a smartsheet?   I saw an old post about this from a few years ago but want to know if this is something that can be done now. 

It would really be awesome for me to help manage requests and other information. 

Thanks, 

RCJ

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi RCJ,

You can probably set this up with the help of a service like Zapier or similar. 

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

re: You can probably set this up with the help of a service like Zapier ...

probably

You definitely can. But...

It depends on your email provider. Gmail and Office365, yes, mostly. Zapier also has both an Email by Zapier app and a Email Parser by Zapier. Outlook specifically is still in the "Upcoming" category.

The main problem with email is it is typically unstructured, so it really depends on how you want to get see the data once it lands where it lands. I spent a lot of time trying various parsing programs (the one by Zapier is free and you get what you pay for) without finding one that was 100% accurate. Ever. Kind of kind of like transcription services -- too many variables except in limited cases.

The second problem I run into with email is that one the email client side, the automated process needs to be set up for each user. To avoid this, the email really needs to be "caught" farther up stream if possible. To build automation using Zapier or IFTTT or whatever only does ONE email account per instance so the cost to operate rises nearly linearly (or forces one to go to higher tiers to get the volume needed)

Craig