Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Please enhance Column Contacts and Form Contacts by allowing Groups to be used!

Seth Morth
Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

I could go on about it, but there are some basic “table-stakes” sorts of features that need to be incorporated into how column contact lists are handled within Smartsheet. First and foremost, please, for the 37th time, allow us to drag a group in and create items contacts within a column contact list.

ALSO, please make it so that we can COPY a column with Contacts loaded and use it again in the same sheet!

Neither should be a premium feature or require an API buildup! This would have saved me hours so far this year, and could easily save me more! ...Do the same thing for Forms please!

84 votes

On Radar · Last Updated

Thank you for this suggestion. We're working to provide collaboration capabilities that facilitate high-quality communication and supporting groups fits neatly into that construct. While this idea is not part of our current plan, we appreciate this input because it will play a role in shaping our decisions. Please keep commenting on this or upvoting ideas that interest you.

Comments

• Shlomi
    Shlomi ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to add Group of contact into Assigned To column,

• Tammy Luther
    Tammy Luther ✭✭✭✭

@Seth Morth

were you able to identify a work around or received any updates on this yet?

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Tammy Luther

No feedback from Smartsheet on this one, so you will definitely want to tender it as a new user request to bring it to the forefront.

• Seth
  • Tobias Krause
    Tobias Krause ✭✭✭✭

in order to use Smartsheet to automatically inform/Alert multiple users about a specific line item, it would be great to insert a user group name into a cell in a contact column.

• Roni R
    Roni R ✭✭

This is basic User Management need. Drop down selections for contacts should be tied to groups so that when I add a user to a group, they automatically become an option for a particular drop down (role). Immensely useful to avoid manual work and isn't that what Smartsheet is about?

• Stu Benoff
    Stu Benoff ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the improved process that would be available if this enhancement is implemented, and, I would like to request that if this is implemented, that the Group Management function be expanded so that a group owner can only manage the contents of their groups. As it stands now, anyone with a group admin role can alter all/any defined groups. If groups are granted the additional functionality in this request, I suspect that they would be used more and therefore highlighting the need for the additional feature that I have included. Thanks.

• I would like to add groups also. I create sheets and forms and frequently need to add all of the members of our unit to contact lists. It takes time to add 60+ people one at a time each time I create a new sheet for something. It would be nice to be able to create a contact list like I have in Outlook in Smartsheet for various groups. I talked to multiple people about this a the conference last year and then had to resubmit this request and still never heard anything back.

I am looking at potentially building sheets that will require contacts throughout our division and I do not look forward to trying to potentially add ~100 one at a time as I work through these projects.

• Dan Cliff
    Dan Cliff ✭✭✭✭

This would be valuable for us too, if we had the ability to define who should be selectable in a contact column based on user groups it would simplify much when we onboard new team members.

• Adding my name to this request. I have a growing smartsheet community, as new members are added to the platform, allowing me to add a user to a group that then populates a contact list would be extremely helpful. Not only for the inital setup of the sheet, but also having to go through all of the sheets' contacts that a user may need to be added to.

• Yes and yes. Would love to create groups of some of my team members so I can assign a task to the three people as a "marketing team" and all three would they get pinged to their individual emails that they've been assigned a task.

• This is definitely needed.

• Kariv
    Kariv ✭✭✭

Agreeing with the above requests. It would save hours of time if we could add a Group when we are using a Contact List column type. At minimum, give us the ability to copy a column that we have added numerous contacts to because I have several Smartsheets that have contact list columns that need the same Group of contacts.

• Francisco
    Francisco ✭✭✭✭

Hoping this gets addressed - would be great to have contact lists that could be utilized across workspaces. The current functionality is tedious and not user friendly.