[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Options

Comments

• AngelaCodding
    Options

My favorite course was an Agile Scrum Methodology course because it was very interactive and the lessons could be applied immediately in my environment.

• Jim Wilson
    Jim Wilson ✭✭✭
    Options

Can't say I can limit to any particular course. Any that have substance, can hold your attention, and have real world examples are always wonderful to take. Generally my favorite class is always the one I am taking right now, no matter what that is. Currently I am taking an online, Six Sigma, Total Quality Applications course. Soon, I will be embarking on Graduate coursework to earn a certification. The summer class will then be my favorite.

As the commercial goes, can't just eat one!

• daynamitchell
    Options

The best course I have taken was Interpersonal Communication in my undergraduate program at Boise State University. It has helped immensely in my personal and professional life. It was great because we practiced real-life critical conversations. It was practical, and useful and has made me a better, more confident communicator.

• Madison Bales
    Options

I'm an Instructional Designer, and the Evaluating Learning Impact class by ATD empowered me to measure how my work creates change in my company.

• Cemil Binlik
    Options

Finance for non finance professionals Coursera

• OrionSOF
    Options

Mine has to be a digital forensics course. Our professor had so much real-world experience and could relate that to what we were learning. Not only that, but he constantly went in-depth, way beyond the text, and challenged us to think about real-world scenarios. It's a class that I remember and reflect upon a lot, not only that, but I use what he taught us and it remains fuel to my ongoing learning in the workplace.

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was able to attend the pre-pandemic SmartSheet basic and intermediate instructor led courses. They were very helpful and I enjoyed meeting other users and the trainer in the course. the 2nd course i'll highlight is one from my college days back in 1981. I took a BASIC programming course which taught me the logic needed for so much of what I do today in formulas.

• Vertex_DanielL
    Options

My favorite course was a training for me and a couple of my colleagues put on by a development partner of a company I was working for that took us through the Quote-to-Cash process as well as relevant setup and configuration of SAP Business One, which was a financial system the team I was on supported with our add-on software. After a few years of working in customer support and then software implementation successfully enough but not fully understanding the big picture, this customized course helped me see how all the pieces fit together and where our add-on fit in to the larger system it supported.

There were no credits or certifications for this class, just the right kind of detail to significantly improve my understanding of my work.

• Jose Valerio
    Options

My favorite course was Macroeconometric Forecasting by the International Monetary Fund, I was able to put all my knowledge into test and apply my favorite topic, gained the respect of my classmates and professor, I was able to put a glory end to my academic formation. The course was very complete, and it enhance my CV a lot, not everybody can take online courses or courses, and/or online courses from very prestigious institution, that´s why I love it, it started my world of online learning I have enjoy it A LOT so far. I hope to still continue getting more proficient in different topics, now I´m focus on Agile Project Management and it has been so good so far.

• _branholm
    Options

My favorite course would definitely have to be the first coding course I took in college. The class was structured with two lectures each week and a lab with a graduate assistant once a week. The best part of the course was the lab, because we would learn about a topic in the lecture and then the lab time was dedicated to not only reviewing that content but practicing the concepts. The combination of modalities (lecture & do-it-yourself) was an excellent teaching mechanism and the content of that course if probably the fastest content I've ever learned or mastered because of it's genius structure.

• msmasonanew
    msmasonanew ✭✭
    edited 04/10/24
    Options

An assertiveness course was a favorite training. It was eye-opening and became a task management cornerstone. Learning how to clearly communicate my needs and how to listen to needs expressed by others was great!

• Hello,

My favorite course was my undergrad Political Science course. I remember it 30 years later because it made such an impression. The professor was passionate and lectured conversationally. She made us challenge our beliefs and think about government processes differently. The way she taught and used activities is something I try to do in my training courses today. I always look for an activity to simulate a situation that reframes a central question.

For one lecture, she had us work in groups to create a sample government structure. She gave us certain parameters, and then, as we worked in teams, she turned off the A/C to the room. It was August in Texas; we were sweaty and annoyed with each other very quickly. We compromised a lot and did not care how solid our final product was. We just wanted it to end so the A/C could be turned on again. The point was to simulate how the founders felt in wool suits and wigs in the summer, and that our constitution was a series of compromises and basic framework.

• infiniti8
    Options

So many great professors and instructors; however, one that stands out is the Marketing course I took in college. The professor owned their own business and the class was truly interactive. We conducted market research by going out into retail businesses and doing our own research. Such respect for the professor and their real-world knowledge, not to mention so much fun actually doing the work during class. So many students truly enjoyed this experience.

• TThwaite
    Options

Since you are likely looking for ways to make Smartsheet courses more engaging and not just asking randomly...

My favorite courses in my current role are our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion mini-courses. I love them because they are very short (around 5 min) focused on a single item with multiple practical examples and a few interactions spots (a drag and drop activity or question to answer) built in to keep people paying attention. There is also a library of related content that pops up after each one to learn more.

Our yearly security and harassment training is nice because each section has a pretest. If answer the questions correctly you skip the next section. That feels really appropriate for working adults as it prevents the need to waste time on topics that you already know well. It also shows practical scenarios and then digs into the nitty gritty stuff within a context. This model is great for longer certification type learning.

• 215smartsheet
    Options

Thanks for this fun prompt. My favorite course, and the primary reason why I'm a structural engineer, was a college course intended to teach structural engineering to architects. Apart from reading assignments, homework and exams consisted solely of sketching flows of forces through structures and their deformed shapes under loading. There were no equations; the point was to learn to visualize load paths, which gave me a deeper understanding of structural behavior than any mathematically based course could have.

This discussion has been closed.