Formulas and Functions

Stumped by a formula? Ask for help or find examples to see how others use a formula to solve a similar problem.

Discussion List

• Can a formula determine hierarchy?
    In Formulas and Functions
    I doubt this is possible but thought I'd ask anyway. I want to know if there's a way to indent a row with a formula. So if a user submits a form and indicates that it should be a child row of a specified parent row, would it be possible to…
    23 1
    23 views 1 comment Most recent by Andrée Starå
  • Countif on filtered list or a range based on a value on another column
    I use the following function to count "=COUNTIF({Cell Range 2}, 0)" numerical values from a column.  However, I should only count the cell values when a cell value in the same respective row but in another column is blank.  Not s…
    581 2
    581 views 2 comments Most recent by Mike Wilday
  • Date formula to reference another cell
    Good Morning! I'm seting up a metrics spreadsheet with a lot of formulas.  The person who will be administering it in the future isn't really familiar with formulas so I'd like to make it as easy as possible.  I created a formula that doe…
    565 3
    565 views 3 comments Most recent by Mike Wilday
  • Formula for text columns convert to sum?
    Hello, I'm trying to help build a sort of prioritization scorecard into a sheet. We have 4 columns, each with possible values of (example) "A", "B" or "C", and would like to have another column that sums ea…
    211 7
    211 views 7 comments Most recent by Brian W
  • Incomplete work left to go
    Is there a way to calculate work days "left to go" where the task is not marked complete while ignoring simultaneous tasks (tasks that have the same predecessor)? It seems like networkdays should get part of the way there but it…
    17 10
    17 views 10 comments Most recent by Paul Newcome
  • IFS Statement
    I have the following equation I am trying to get working: =COUNTIFS({Range 1}, =1, {Range 2}, IFERROR(YEAR(@cell), 0) = 2018, {Range 2}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = January, {Range 3}, OR(@Cell="", @Cell="")) The equatio…
    188 3
    188 views 3 comments Most recent by Mike Wilday
  • COUNTIF Formula for when a cell contains a specific word/phrase?
    I'm trying to create a formula that allows me to count the number of times the word "Postcard", for example, appears in a list in a column. I am referencing a column in another sheet to do so. However, nothing I've tried works.  …
    2110 2
    2.1K views 2 comments Most recent by Mike Wilday
  • Check Box & IF Statements
    Appreciate some pointers on this if possible..   I have 5 Columns in my Smartsheet.. the first 4 are Check Boxes, the 5th is a Text/Number.. Columns as follows..   [North] [East] [South] [West] [Direction]   In [Direction], I wan…
    4739 10
    4.7K views 10 comments Most recent by Paul Newcome
  • IF Percentage Complete = 100% return Date
    This seemed simple to me before I started.. but this has me foxed..! two columns:   % Complete [Text/Number field] Date Complete [Date field]   What I intended is for the Date Complete cell to automatically complete with TODAY() when …
    463 4
    463 views 4 comments Most recent by Mike Wilday
  • Formula Help Needed
    I currently have 3 Columns: Column 1 "NUMBER OF UNITS", Column 2 "UNIT PRICE" & Column 3 "TOTAL PRICE". What I am trying to do is if in Column 1, the "NUMBER OF UNITS" is 600 or less, I need Col…
    11 2
    11 views 2 comments Most recent by eric.o